Editing Laptops - HP vs Lenovo

Hey

So Im trying to get a laptop to use as the primary editing station for my footage for a feature (coming off of two Canon 60d's). My budget for the machine is like $1000-1300. I kind of narrowed it down between

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/?sb=:000001C9:00010254:

and

HP ENVY 17-j185nr
http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...TouchSmart-17-j185nr-Notebook-PC-ENERGY-STAR-

Its gotta be a laptop cuz im moving to Prague for like 5 months later in the year and then back to the states so I need the machine to travel.

Any words of wisdom / suggestions as to which way to go? Other contenders in my budget would be just as welcome. Thanks y'all!

um, not quite... solely cuz Im not much of a computer whizz and i just dont know how to go about assembly. But if staying within that price point, I could get atleast those specs or maybe more (if its more cost effective) then thats pretty tempting. Do you think theres maybe a website where you can just pick out components that they can put together?

Also, still would like to hear if you have anything to say about the lenovo vs the hp vs anything else

Well if comes down to it I would go with the HP they tend to be more expensive but its because they are reliable and usually have good specs. You could check out the website newegg.com, they dont build the pc for you but they have video's explaing everything if your still interested.

thanks for the vaio tip, but theres two reasons.

first off, my editing software almost exclusively is Adobe bound, and between premiere, AE, and audition, I pretty much make it all happen so the added software's not that much of a charm.

second, its not really up to par with the other two systems. Both the HP and Lenovo have i7s while the Sony has i5, their ram is 16gigs but the sony's only 8, amd the HDD is only 500gigs. Doesnt really amount to a tough machine that can take on 200 gigsof footage and process it fast and smooth without crashing.

But thanks for the suggestion again.

I have the HP dv7, be weary of the hinges!!! Make sure they have resolved the hinge issues with their laptops, it's a real pain after 4-6 months. I love the computer itself, great power and speed, best I've owned. Ran a 3 hour talent show edit and a one hour seminar edit both multicam, worked great with premiere elements. But keep the screws tight underneath and have a backup plan for the hinges!!

Thnks for the hinges tip! :)

And yeah, the reason I'm leaning towards a laptop is the portability which I quite desperately need. I move every 5 to 6 months literally, and mostly across international borders, so I need a good editing machine to accompany me. For a bit I was looking at the eurocom portable all in ones, but theyre a tad too far out of my price point.

Im really just hoping for something with a 4 core intel i7, with atleast 16Gb ram, 1920x1080 resolution, and fairly decent graphics card. If I can squeeze in SSD alongwith, yay, but thats a tall order for the 1000 to 1500 budget im considering.

Back