Cheapest place for Royalty Free Music

I'm looking for a cheap place (website) that I can get Royalty Free Music.

The reason is has to be cheap is I'm not being paid as it's a uni project and the music needs to be royalty free.

Thanks

There are several sites that have CC-BY (creative commons license) and true free music. Just do a google search and see what comes up for music for film/video.

I'm subscribing to this thread... interested to see the responses... I need theme music for a show I'm doing and I've looked through all of the previously mentioned content and still haven't found anything catchy.

We do require some form of attribution.
If it isn't in your project itself, it could be on your website or on your facebook page or something like that. Thanks for checking it out.

I listened to a few of those tracks and I'm impressed. I just put it my favorites so I can find it quickly. Thanks!

many of the tracks are underwhelming... make sure to check out other sources for Royalty Free Music too. These are really "last resort" if you ask me, and I made the damn things.

I bought two "songs" from stock20.com in the last week. Perfect for what I needed. Easy to understand, very open license, and each song came with several variations, endings etc.

$20 for a royalty free song, with variations that you can do anything you want with. Not bad.

X-ray Dog

X ray dog is a pro band that just makes and sells RF soundtrack music. It's cheap overall, and the quality is great. Tons of diversity from orchestration to metal to techno, and it's all top notch and designed with a cinematic effect.

You can also buy a Stratocaster. Or Omnisphere if you are really lazy and want great results. I bought both!

I cant find any info on xray dog licenses etc.. they are clearly too upscale for me. I cat imagine a true ROYALTY FREE license from them.

Bad Info

I'm afraid I had some bad info on X-ray dog. They seem to be upscaling into a corporate music production house. When I called them yesterday, they wanted my life history, and a signed agreement just to give me a price quote.

I would advise budget filmmakers not to approach them, you can reason with a musician, but once they have an in house lawyer, being reasonable won't save you. I was calling to offer a few grand, they wanted to scale payment with the size of my film. In a way it's fair, but when someone advertises themselves as a budget option, I'm not expecting a retinal scan, and a stack of documents saying they can come after me if my film sells bigger than expected.

(maybe I'm just being irritable, because I had big plans for their stuff, and it was marked royalty free when I got the samples 3 years back)

There are heaps of websites out there that have good deals on music. Some are bigger, some are smaller. The quality of the music is pretty variable. Cheapest is not always best, but there are some very affordable sites. Productiontrax.com has some really good music and some mediocre stuff too. You need to search through it well. Also http://rocksuresoundz.com which is a site I am involved with is another option. A third option is maybe if you have some friends that are musicians and have existing music that they have recorded they may be willing to let you use it just for the credit and exposure.

Back