Recording band Rehearsal

Hello everyone!

I am going to record a documentary for a band, and there will be a moment where I will have to record them rehearsing and play live!

As you may have forseen, my main issue will be sound.
I will have to record both the band playing, and them talking to each other.
Somebody suggested me to use their instrument with their own mixer and then use mine to record their vocies?

I have available the following kit:
Sound Devices 552 Portable Audio Mixer
Zoom Handy Audio Recorder H4n (with mic, XLR & power supply)
Boom Microphone

thanks for your advices!

Just something to consider adding to the list is a board feed (getting a stereo mix from the mixing board). This gives you the option of jumping to or mixing in what the final product *could* sound like upon release. The A/B nature of the quality between live and recorded is substantial and could really lend to the ultimate "end product vision" of the band and highlight the behind-the-scenes feel of the rest of the documentary. =)

A board feed, both at rehearsals and at shows, is a solid idea. You should consider getting some signal pads/attenuators, as the feed from live consoles can be really HOT! Something like the Pearstone ILA-123; it can do -10dB, -20dB or -30dB of attenuation.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1004663-REG/pearstone_ila_123_in_line_attenuator_for_m.html

You'll also need a few adaptors; TS/TRS to XLR, for example.

You'll also want to run a couple of mics in the room; you'll never know when you might need it.

Back