Tutorial: Freeze Frame Titling

This tutorial was requested on another thread, hope you find it useful in a future project. =)

Freeze Frame Titling Tutorial

Our final result will look similar to:
http://www.fallofautumn.com/nate-title-test.mov
(don't try to stream, control-click and "Save Target As...")

I've seen variations of this effect used at the beginning of TV shows, to introduce all the characters, usually mid sentence. I’m not sure how it’s done in Hollywood, but here’s how I accomplished it:

freeze-frame-title-01.jpg

First, in your video editing software (I use an older version of Sony Vegas) find the frame you’d like to pause on. Be sure your subject doesn’t have a goofy half-open mouth look in the frame (unless you’re out to make them look bad, of course). You should also not cut in the middle of a word or sentence, again, unless it’s for effect.

Take that freeze frame, and "split" your video and audio file at that point. Your editing software should allow you to export a still frame picture (.jpg, .gif, .png, etc) of the spot at which you split. Your exported picture will look like:

freeze-frame-title-05.jpg

Then, open that still frame picture file in your photo editing software of choice. I use Macromedia’s Fireworks MX. Using the lasso tool, or scissors tool, remove the background around your subject. Be careful to not give them a haircut in the process, with frizzy hair it might be tempting to cut away some of the frizz, but it will leave your subject looking unnatural.

freeze-frame-title-06.jpg

Export the image from your photo editing software as a 32-bit .png to ensure the background remains transparent. (TIP: If your video editing software does not support transparency, you can make a solid blue or green background around your subject, and then chroma-key it out.)

freeze-frame-title-07.jpg

If you’re going to be making a title for the shot as well, make that while your photo editing software is loaded, and again, export as a 32-bit .png to ensure transparency.

Last edited:
Save and close your photo editing software and head back into your video editor. Import the new media files you just created. On your A Roll video track, insert the unmodified still frame picture. Make sure it butts up against the last frame of video for a seamless pause. Give it an appropriate frame count (I set mine to about 5 secs), and then add the “newspaper” filter. (this is a specific filter in Sony Vegas, but I’m sure similar filters can be found in other video editing software)

freeze-frame-title-02.jpg

Next, on the track above the freeze frame "newspapered" picture, add the cut out of your subject. Again, it should align perfectly with the last frame of video, thus giving a seamless pause on the frame you chose. If desired, you can add a touch of zoom via the "motion control" keyframes.

freeze-frame-title-03.jpg

Finally, if you made a title for your freeze frame, place that on the track above your cut out subject. Again, you can add panning and/or zooming keyframes if you’d like.

freeze-frame-title-04.jpg

Your result should look similar to:

http://www.fallofautumn.com/nate-title-test.mov
(don't try to stream, control-click and "Save Target As...")

Have fun and feel free to share your examples/tests of this technique. =)

Back