This or That? - Shotgun mics

I've been considering investing in a shotgun mic, but I don't want to drop $500 on one. What is your preferred shotgun, and which shotguns are the best deal?
Thanks! :D

I've been considering investing in a shotgun mic, but I don't want to drop $500 on one. What is your preferred shotgun, and which shotguns are the best deal?
Thanks! :D

My preferred shotgun is the Sony ECM 674 which is the best deal. Although listed as a $300 mic in the US and $500 here in the UK, because it is relatively unknown, used ones are cheap. Used prices are around $50 USD per mic even when they are in fantastic condition because even soundies have not used them. Mine cost $50 and I have tested this with professionals who have never used one before but are impressed given the price / quality point.

Don't take my word for it: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/667706-REG/Sony_ECM674_9X_ECM_674_9X_Electret_Condenser.html

I also bought a used Fostex FR2-le and a Promix 3 plus the mic for less than the price of a Tascam DR100. The reason is I went used.

ME66

I bought the Sennheiser ME66 along with the power module, foam windscreen, without the XLR cords for only $150 through a seller on amazon and I love it. I bought some XLR cords including an adapter to fit my 3.5mm jack in my T2i and it's amazing. I'd suggest the ME66 if you can get it for around the same price I did.

The ME66 was a nice mic in its day, but, in the digital age, it sounds just a little on the brittle side to my ears. Just my personal preference. BTW, it did sound wonderful with the Nagra reel-to-reel and that natural tape compression. Oh, if you use the ME66 with self powered phantom you'll get the level drop.

I've never used the Sony ECM 674 myself, but my prod-sound buddies were not impressed. I don't mention it at all since I have not personally used it and can only offer anecdotal information.

Remember - Opinions are like a$$holes; everybody has one, and they all stink!!!

Back