Documentary Gig Footage - The Right Camera?

Hello people!

I'm shooting a documentary for a band and they want it to be for DVD but also with a possibility of broadcast (depending how things go for them) in UK and abroad. I've got more experience in mid-level corporate if i'm honest and hitting broadcast standards isn't something i've needed to concern myself with up 'til now.

The band don't want it to be too slick, they don't want loads of slow tracking or stedicam, instead they want it to replicate older gig footage from the 70s (a 16mm look), a hand held, high octane - i suppose 'run & gun' style. I've been thinking about various camera options and i think i've whittled it down to the C300 due to low light capability and interchangeable lenses but really i want a couple of opinions on whether this is a good idea or not?Will the C300 meet all the broadcast requirements in the UK? It's 4:2:2 and 50mbps but only 8-bit, will that be a problem? Will it meet BBC & Ch4 standards?

I was also thinking about getting one PL mount with the compact primes set and one with the EF mount. There is 2 of us making it and i thought the primes will be beautiful for any interview stuff we do and also work on stage. But the options a constant L zoom like the 24-105 could give us might prove invaluable as well. Or do i just go down the EF route and get more Canon L glass - is the IS worth it?

Hope someone can help and give a little friendly advice!
Thanks in advance,
JT

Back