Taking On New Talent The Major Talent Agency Way

With all the issues of the last production with casting, besides going SAG, I believe we will only seek to work with actors the actors of my productions have worked with and personally recommend.

taking chances with unknowns is too risky.

The Major Talent Agencies told me, they only take on new clients their clients have worked with and recommend. I'm beginning to see why and think it is a good way to work.

I'm bringing this up here because others have had problems with actors too. Part of working with people recommended by people I work with is the new people will need to not screw their friends for recommending them. Of course there can still be problems. But, the percentage should be reduced.

Yeppers, this is that whole "Networking" thing that is such a big deal. Not only in filmmaking, but in business as people are less likely to recommend people who will make them look bad for their recommendation.

Agreed.

While I haven't had any issues with actors I read here
that you (and others) have many problems with them.
I always feel bad that so many of you have so many
problems with flakey actors. It just hasn't happened to
me. The one time in the last five years I have hired a
really bad (not flakey, just bad) actor she came from
an agent I trusted.

However, I will only hire crew from personal recommendation.
I don't even look at resumes or reels anymore. Networking
and contacts are essential - much more important than
resume or reel.

Yeah it seems actors your production knows of is the way to go. Unknown actors can be good, but I'd prefer ones I know or seen do work before. I do like watching auditions though.

I don't know if this will help at all, but I hope it might. Until recently, we were student filmmakers with nearly non-existent budgets. We didn't pay anyone. Before production begins, though, we always have a few pre-production meetings/rehearsals with the cast and crew. One of the most important things about these meetings is to feed everyone. Generously. Dessert and bread included.

We've had one actor flake out, but we'd covered out bases by the time he did because it was expected. He hadn't shown up to either of our two pre-production meetings. Taking on unknowns is risky, but it can be less risky if we get to know them a little bit before we shoot.

Our crew, though, is generally very small because we only work with those we trust.

Back