What is the 'laurels' convention?

As I have begun improving, other people have asked me to get involved in their shorts. One of them asked me to do some sound stuff on their short, paid me for it and now the short has progressed to a major film fest - a world class film fest to be precise.

My question is around using 'laurels.' I am looking to use the laurels on my reel but wanted to know if using laurels on a reel where I have only been part of the process is the norm.

Is it?

Several of my films have been in festivals. My last film racked up over 20 laurels. I encourage everyone on my crew to use laurels to promote themselves. No matter what role they undertook, they worked on a film worthy of laurels and they should be able to advertise that fact.

OK. Where I have been a significant part of the project, I will use them. For example, my reel (I know it is weak but building this) has a couple upfront. https://vimeo.com/paulrwalker/review/59957168/1df6f187a7

And this fest is so big. It's insane. Did not believe I would have something at this level in my entire life.

I'm not sure about using laurels for a film you did sound for on a Director's reel.. I would say it's misleading at best.

If it were me, I would include it in my resume. For example, if I AC on a film that gets into Cannes, my resume might read something like this:

Film Title 1st Assistant Camera dop Joe Smith (Official Selection: Cannes Film Festival)

I would never use the laurel on my DP reel however.

Back