• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

recommended transitions?

what are the preferred transitions in Final Cut Pro. The scenes are mostly conversations between 2 people sitting at the beach. I am using the default cross fade, is good sometimes, but gets tiring. When switching camera angles during conversation scenes..whats your preferred transitiion?

thanks in advance

Hard cuts is what I would recommend when editing a conversation with different camera angles. Dissolving sounds kind of weird to me. Also if the scene is seeming slow try somethings to spice it up. Maybe put in a close up shot of one of the characters rubbing something off his finger or him checking his cell phone, those are just examples. I am not sure what the scene is, what angles you have, or what they are talking about. I hope this helps. Good luck.

For back & forth convo, straight cuts seems appropriate. You can get a little creative with J & L cuts, if you need to. (Using audio from 1 clip with a portion of 2nd's video)

I think the most common transition is crossfade dissolve, but that's mainly used when scenes move "elsewhere" or "later".

Back