Choosing a camera

Didn't see a general choosing a camera topic. Maybe it's a good idea to have one where everyone can ask a question about what camera they should use for a project or what camera they should buy themselves.

Please tell me if there already is a topic like this and I'll ask my question there. Here it is:
I'm looking to buy a new camera, my current one is a Canon XM2 and as I have been offered a film job I'd like to upgrade to something more appropriate to this HD era (I'm a late bloomer I guess :lol:). I want to shoot short films in my own time and perhaps I'll get more film jobs in the future. Think of jobs like making a commercial for a small cultural festival or an event.

Now for the real question: what camera do you recommend? Should I get a DSLR, or is that the stupidest idea at the moment? I know I like shallow depth of field, but I don't like the fact that DSLRs can't film for a long time (I like to take long shots). I also read about a lot of Canons overheating, is this still a problem?

Thanks in advance!

I've been shooting vid for about 2 years with a 600D, and don't ever recall having a problem with moire on shingled roofs, brickwork and patterned fabrics. Or anything else for that matter. :D

Just sayin'. ;)

It amazes me how much of a big deal is made online about 'Canon moire' (often by people/sites that have little to no experience using them outside of a test environment). Anyone can force test variables to demonstrate a possible issue. Big whoop. :P

(In my best Yoda voice) Mmm, yes! The sum of the camera's performance, this does not make. Mmm...

In my actual real-world experience of the dreaded 'Canon moire', it's a non issue. Prepare yourselves for an epic twist in the ill-fated tale of 'Canon moire'... any problem that may be noticed is easily resolved by merely moving the camera fractionally. :eek:

I saw a lot of Moire examples and every time I thought "why would I be swinging my camera from the left to the right...". It looked fine as long as the camera was still.

As I said earlier, I'm going to test the 600D somewhere in the coming weeks. Then I can see for myself if the moire is so bad as everyone tells me. I'm considering the 600D and 70D now, but I think it's a good idea to start off with a 600D and buy great lenses for the money I save on the body. I can always upgrade to a better body in the following years.

As for the AF on the 70D, I actually never use AF. I've never used it on my Canon XM2 and I can't use it on my Mamiya M645J and Rollei 35 as they don't have it. I prefer manual focussing, it gives me more control.

And don't forget the lens side of the equation.

A good camera is great but the lens/lenses used is/are a huge factor in the quality of your visuals.

Youtube has many tutorials on the topic e.g.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGimVEpT0IA

Last edited:
The thing that always got me with the canon image was the weird standard definition texture from the sensor line skipping. It can still be made to work though. Side note; I am happy this week because Canon, via Nickerson research, has reached out to me to license shots from my t2i work. Feeling a bit positive about the brand right now.

I am happy this week because Canon, via Nickerson research, has reached out to me to license shots from my t2i work.

You mean they want to use your footage for promotional use? Nice job!

I've begun to realize how important the lenses are, that's why I'm starting to lean towards the 600D. It'll save me about €500,- on the body alone... That's a lot of money I can invest in gear and/or lenses.

Now my cousin just needs to say yes so I can try it out.

If you don't mind the form factor and almost entirely touchscreen interface, the EOS-M produces identical images to the 60D. I have both cameras and have tested them side by side. The M is mirrorless and is small and squared off. I paid $250US for my M body and another $92US for the adapter to run EF and EF-S lenses on it. Since you have no lenses yet, I recommend the kit with the 22mm pancake lens and the adapter for around $450-$500US.

Haha okay, now I have to take a real good look at the EOS-M. I didn't really look into it since it's a compact camera and I have this idea in my head that they aren't as good as DSLRs or comparable camera's.

You say you used them side by side, what camera do you prefer? What are the pro's and cons of the EOS-M? Thanks in advance!

Haha okay, now I have to take a real good look at the EOS-M. I didn't really look into it since it's a compact camera and I have this idea in my head that they aren't as good as DSLRs or comparable camera's.

You say you used them side by side, what camera do you prefer? What are the pro's and cons of the EOS-M? Thanks in advance!

You get a few less hard body controls, and no flip up mirror (you don't have to worry about using up all the actuations by taking a lot of photos) - its 'live view'. I would recommend investing in Nikon mount glass if you want to move to other cams in the future. Nikon glass will put you in a very good spot to speedboost to a black magic down the road (canon glass will leave you few options in this area)

The big thing with DSLR is to decide whether you want a Canon system or a Nikon system (or indeed anything else). Have a think about what lenses and accessories you are likely to want in the future as well as the camera you want to buy now.

I always liked Canon more, I don't know exactly why, but I just like having a Canon in my hands and I've never had this feeling with Nikon. So I guess I'd go for a canon rather than a Nikon.

I haven't been able to check out the rest of the cameras everyone has shown me, I think I have some spare time this weekend. So the hunt continues...

Back