How to calculate a day rate?

I've been asked for a day rate and I thought I would ask some advice on how people generally calculate their day rate. I've read a few things online but they are seem more specific to jobs like an electrician where guaranteed work is higher. I've heard union guys on set say people in the film industry have a different day rate due to the lower expectancy of work..

Also I'm not after a specific number (unless you're aussie) because there are much different standards of minimum wage and whatnot in different countries.

Thoughts anyone?

Who's the client? What's the project? What's your role? How long will you be engaged on that project? How good are you at what you do/are being employed to do? How much experience do you have etc.

Feel free to PM if you want a bit more specific advice.

Last edited:
Client is a university, the project is live filming (without editing) of events held throughout the year. Due to all of them requiring travel (sometimes significant distances) and some of them multiple in a day they want to go via a day rate rather than per hour.

I've been filming live things for years, and in general it is borderline menial with little to no creative decisions involved.

Do these answers lead me to believe that depending on the job in general I would quote a different day rate? I always assumed you'd have a reasonably similar one for all jobs in place with I guess possible add ons for extra requirements.

Do these answers lead me to believe that depending on the job in general I would quote a different day rate? I always assumed you'd have a reasonably similar one for all jobs in place with I guess possible add ons for extra requirements.

It depends how you market yourself and the type of work you plan to do, but in general yes it depends on the job.

I, too, shoot a lot of live events so I know what is involved and it's not
borderline menial - it's difficult, exacting work requiring a lot of skill and
understanding of what you're shooting. Miss a shot and you can't do
another take.

I set my day rate based on the going rate - what other people doing
the same job are charging. And I base it on my experience and what
is worth it for me.

So ask yourself; what is your time worth to you? Not to them - to you.

As what Rik said, what your time is worth to you is part of the equation.

The other part of the equation is what your time is worth to them.

Some companies can afford, and some are willing to pay, a lot more than you'd expect.

Client is a university, the project is live filming (without editing) of events held throughout the year. Due to all of them requiring travel (sometimes significant distances) and some of them multiple in a day they want to go via a day rate rather than per hour.

I've been filming live things for years, and in general it is borderline menial with little to no creative decisions involved.

For this client you need to do calculate a base rate, and a travel rate. I have no experience in live video production or Australia so I can't help you with day rate. But I can help with travel rate.

To figure out your travel rate you need to know what they are including, and what they expect you to pay for. I always provide lodging and airfare for crew if they flew, if its a long drive I do lodging and miles. Also a per diem for food and misc incurred expenses is typical. The following numbers are standard in the US.

Travel rate = Day rate + $70 per diem + $0.565/ mile. Yes I meant fifty six and one half cents. You'll need to add in a reasonable average hotel price if they aren't paying for one, I'd ask for $200/ day extra if I have to book my hotel. Flights are on per project basis.

Every job is different and every production has a different budget.

Last edited:
Back