• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Recording Sound for Chase Scene

So I'm preparing to do an outdoor shoot for a short action flick that involves a fairly lengthy chase sequence. So what's the best way to capture sound for the sequence, I already have a shotgun microphone and a boom pole (which isn't practical for a run and gun shoot), should I consider getting a pistol grip for the mic and have the sound guy just follow the action along with the camera?

The sound of a really effective chase scene will be primarily recreated in post using Foley and FX. Your sound guy, if he really is a sound guy, will know what tools he needs to get as much usable production sound as possible.

Following up on AcousticAl...

With the exception of production dialog almost every other sonic element of a film is created in audio post. The spaces between lines of dialog are removed and replaced with room tone. Every footstep, body movement (cloth & skin), prop, etc. is performed and recorded by the Foley team. Everything from doors to vehicles to weapons to animals to the ambient atmosphere - and dozens of other things you would never think of - are all created (or pulled from libraries) and spotted by the sound effects team.

You can try to capture your "chase" sounds during production, but they will not have anywhere near the impact of those created in audio post, and you will not have anywhere near the amount of control you will need to create a compelling soundtrack.

You can try to capture your "chase" sounds during production, but they will not have anywhere near the impact of those created in audio post, and you will not have anywhere near the amount of control you will need to create a compelling soundtrack.

Right right. So I could basically capture that production audio in the field for reference, do a rough cut of the entire film, then take that audio out and then mix in the foley sounds and anything else in say Audition CC?

Chase scenes (of any type) are always quite challenging from an audio point of view and even more so for lengthy chase scenes. On the one hand they absolutely must be believable and on the other, one needs to enhance reality to generate storytelling excitement and energy. With a long chase scene one also has to carefully consider the shape of the audio/sound design, to create an ebb and flow, otherwise one ends up with the opposite of the desired effect: a monotonous soundtrack which detracts from the pace/energy and excitement.

Another aspect to carefully consider is POV, from what/whose point of view are we seeing the chase and, does the POV change? Also, depending on POV, you might also wish to consider some ADR/Dubbing in addition to the Foley and ambient SFX, for breathing/panting/gasping sounds.

This thread will give you more info regarding sound design and adding/maintaining energy and pace in your scene.

G

Last edited:
Back