• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

PhD English Professor/writer with short story

PhD English Prof with story

I am a university English professor and closet fiction writer. Colleagues have shared that my fiction reads like "a beautiful film." Character and theme are important to me. I have a short story that I would love to see into film. It could be filmed quite anywhere on a very small budget. The theme is universal and would resonate with an audience, especially today. I am open to graduate students and new filmmakers who are in search of a quality story. This could be the one for both of us. I look forward to hearing from you!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Montague, it's great to have someone with your knowledge and qualifications.

Can you tell us more about this short story - What genre is it, how many pages long is the script?

Thank you for your reply. It is a short story - about two pages in length; it is not in script form. This would allow the director, the two actors, and cinematographer great range and opportunity. The genre is drama... it is a memory piece. There is very little dialogue as it is internal and would rely on visual imagery to convey its theme/message.

Thank you for your reply. It is a short story - about two pages in length; it is not in script form. This would allow the director, the two actors, and cinematographer great range and opportunity. The genre is drama... it is a memory piece. There is very little dialogue as it is internal and would rely on visual imagery to convey its theme/message.

Regardless of length and amount of dialogue, you need to format this thing into a proper screenplay format. If you hand a filmmaker a couple pages with of blocked text, with no obvious action lines or dialogue tags, you'll have a hard time taken seriously.

No excuse to NOT do this since it's only two pages.

I understand. Thank you for sharing. But I'm not a screenwriter. That's why I'm here. I think a some filmmakers would be very interested in a good story and I am hoping to collaborate as we work toward dialogue, shots, location, etc.

I understand. Thank you for sharing. But I'm not a screenwriter. That's why I'm here. I think a some filmmakers would be very interested in a good story and I am hoping to collaborate as we work toward dialogue, shots, location, etc.

I'm very curious what you have in two pages that would be enough for a complete film.

Two pages, not in screenplay format, could be any damn length! Have you ever read a treatment?

This guy is not a screenwriter, and he is offering his story. Whomever is interested should take a look. It's like, he is offering his land to build a house, but everyone tells him, he needs to be a carpenter first.

Two pages, not in screenplay format, could be any damn length! Have you ever read a treatment?

This guy is not a screenwriter, and he is offering his story. Whomever is interested should take a look. It's like, he is offering his land to build a house, but everyone tells him, he needs to be a carpenter first.

Great analogy.

Back