• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Lighting a scene

Hello, first off let me say I am in no way a cinematographer, and have just been messing around with a little 1000 watt lighting kit I have.

My first short film that I am directing on my own with a small budget will be taking place around september or october.

One of the scenes takes place in the bedroom and I want the whole film to be in black and white, but I want this particular scene to be very bright and maybe a little over exposed. The camera I will be using is the Canon t2i(550d) and I just wanted to know what lights I should be looking at and how many. Thanks...

Can you post any links to reference images from other photography/films that you would like to emulate, or that inspire you lighting/look wise? Without knowing the location, the actors/costumes, and the specifics of the lighting kit you've got, It's a difficult question to answer. All I'd be able to give you would be default, generic lighting setups.

Back