Grading and CC in Photoshop Extended

Hey everyone!

I just came across a vid online and in the description, the maker stated that he used photoshop to color correct and grade his clips and then he imported those clips into his NLE editing program to combine them and add sound.

I have never thought about doing that and would like to get some perspective on this. I have always used Premiere for my videos and Photoshop for my pictures (and some times imported frames in PS when circumstances required.)

I was just wondering if i have been missing out on something all these years and if this is a normal practice. Or is this something new and out of the norm. And if any of you have done both, what were the major pros and cons in your experience. Also, if you can think of any other info that may be relevant or provide an insight into this topic, feel free to share it.

Thanks!

It's not something new, and while it's not really unusual it's certainly not the norm. I love Photoshop's interface for editing photos, but there's no way I'd use it for colour grading when I've got access to Apple Color, After Effects and Magic Bullet Colorista II. I use Photoshop for colour grading mockups and pre-production tests quite often, even if just for my own use; but unless there was some incredible feature or plug-in that wasn't available for any motion picture software, I can't see myself using it as a part of my regular workflow.

but unless there was some incredible feature or plug-in that wasn't available for any motion picture software, I can't see myself using it as a part of my regular workflow.

Right, that's what i thought after seeing the vid and doing a bit of research in google. Why would you use PS when you have Premiere or FC with all the plug ins available for them.

So i thought maybe i was missing something abt PS if people are doing this.

Yeah, there are tons of color correction options in most NLE's and then PLUG INS from 3rd party software for those NLE's and there's no reason to go out to photoshop with video files as image sequences.

...Other than the high bit depth and batch processing abilities, but the workflow is really convoluted:

-export an image sequence of the clip/sequence to be modified as Tiff images
-correct an "ideal" frame from the sequence
-save the series of corrections as an action which can then be...
-batch applied to the rest of the sequence
-import the sequence back into your NLE for marriage with the audio track (careful not to lose synch)
-you're golden

-you may want to export a video file at that point for each clip/sequence to speed your further editing processes

Back