• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Mixing 4:3 and 16:9

Two questions: I DP'ed a film recently with my trusty AG-DVX100a. The first half was shot in digital squeeze mode. I was on bed rest after surgery for the second shoot, and unfortunately it was shot in full frame 4:3. I'd like to crop and distort the 4:3 footage to make it anamorphic 16:9, matching the first half. Any thoughts on best practices? My gut says that's what happens in camera during a digital squeeze anyway: that it throws out the top and bottom 60 lines and stretches the rest to fit, but I wanted the hive's take.

Second: we're adjusting this film to give it a grainy, black and white, 16mm look. Going to use Apple Color for the correction. Anyone have any experience transcoding SD footage to ProRes for Color? Wondering if it's worth it. I'll test a short sequence but wanted to see if anyone has tried it before.

I would crop the 4x3 footage to match the anamorphic. Even though it's SD, it should hold up well enough, especially with the kind of color grading you're describing.

As for the transcoding, I don't think it's going to give you very much. Do a test to be sure, but I doubt it will be worth the time and resources. The DVCPro codec is robust enough for color grading, and it's not like Prores is going to give you back that color space anyway.

Back