Is this stunt easy or dangerous?

00R0R_9up61mH2y9F_600x450.jpg

I want to get a "simple" shot of my actor floating down as if he's just landing from a parachute jump. I would have a "glider" attached to the crane and my actor would be holding onto the handle bars. I will probably need a crane to do this, so I was thinking of paying someone to use their crane truck. Is this too dangerous? Or is there a more professional way of doing something like this?

Thanks.

I want to get a "simple" shot of my actor floating down as if he's just landing from a parachute jump. I would have a "glider" attached to the crane and my actor would be holding onto the handle bars. I will probably need a crane to do this, so I was thinking of paying someone to use their crane truck. Is this too dangerous? Or is there a more professional way of doing something like this?

Thanks.

If done by a stunt pro, I would say easy. Otherwise probably dangerous.

I forgot to mention I would only have the actor about 10 feet up and he would just float down slowly into the frame. For this film project, it doesn't have to look realistic. Do you think I should try hiring a stuntman and cut it into 2 different shots? Like before you see the stuntman's face, I cut to a shot of the actor's feet touching the floor, and then the camera pans up to his face?

Last edited:
Doing stunts is for when you want it to look realistic.
If for this film project "it doesn't have to look realistic" why not use green screen?

Anyway here is my answer to your question..
This is a simple stunt. You can even show the harness holding up your actor which makes this extra secure. You don't need to be a stunt professional to harness someone and lower them at one of those wall climbing places.

Caveat: Simple stunts like driving down an empty road can have consequences. Some people are really bad drivers and uma thurman crashed into a tree with a one-vehicle accident. How does something like that even happen?? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-crash-sparks-outrage-stunt-community-1083035

IDK but accidents do happen and maybe your actor rolls their ankle when they land ya know?

Doing stunts is for when you want it to look realistic.
If for this film project "it doesn't have to look realistic" why not use green screen?

Anyway here is my answer to your question..
This is a simple stunt. You can even show the harness holding up your actor which makes this extra secure. You don't need to be a stunt professional to harness someone and lower them at one of those wall climbing places.

Caveat: Simple stunts like driving down an empty road can have consequences. Some people are really bad drivers and uma thurman crashed into a tree with a one-vehicle accident. How does something like that even happen?? https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...-crash-sparks-outrage-stunt-community-1083035

IDK but accidents do happen and maybe your actor rolls their ankle when they land ya know?

Hmm... INTERESTING! So do you think that pick-up truck crane is the most viable solution here to use as a hoist for the actor? This would be done in a park parking lot so it would be the most convinient in my opinion. TY

Give the character a helmet cam then the landing can be the POV and sound effects. Safe. Easy. Effective. You could shoot it with the crane or many ways. Then cut to him on ground running after "landing". He could even run and jump and you cut to downward motion after POV.

Can still work if your actor is not supposed to be wearing a cam. It's just a POV shot not as shaky.

to take this from another point of view (the one of an actor) there is no way I would agree to do this on an inexperiance set without proffesional that deal with this stuff

stuntmen/women on highly controlled sets get seriously injured often so what does some low budget amature set of someone who has to ask a forum if it safe of not have to offer the actor for risking their life?

all it takes is the crane to drop, the harness to fail or the driver to accidentally accelerate or hit something and you have an injured actor

to take this from another point of view (the one of an actor) there is no way I would agree to do this on an inexperiance set without proffesional that deal with this stuff

stuntmen/women on highly controlled sets get seriously injured often so what does some low budget amature set of someone who has to ask a forum if it safe of not have to offer the actor for risking their life?

all it takes is the crane to drop, the harness to fail or the driver to accidentally accelerate or hit something and you have an injured actor

actors should never be coerced into doing a stunt if they're uncomfortable.
and no one asked if he had insurance :lol:

but hey sometimes I'm careful and take calculated risks

I skydive and can tell you that nobody ever just floats down. There's a reason we flare the canopy just before landing and that's to slow our speed way down. You should check out some footage of actual landings and have your actor/stunt person do the same for reference.

Back