Shooting a Mockumentary - Looking for Camera Suggestions

I'm shooting a mockumentary about high school teachers in a few weeks and I'm trying to duplicate the look of "Waiting for Superman". which was shot with the Sony PMW-EX3 and Panasonic AJ-HDC27 VariCam. The Panasonic was used primarily for sit-down interviews, while the EX3 was used in run-and-gun situations where the cameramen needed to follow their subjects into taxis, subways and school buses.

I need to have two cameras going in my classroom scenes, so I need to rent two cameras that can capture "run and gun" situations (teachers moving down hallways, soccer games, a dad playing with his child), but the model I choose also needs to be able to give me a nice image when I record the actors during sit-down interviews. Apparently the Panasonic VariCam is exceptionally good for this, but doesn't capture fast motion activities very well. We've also decided to shoot in 720p instead of 1080p to get a grittier, more "real" look.

Can anyone suggest a camera that can successfully capture both types of shots? Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Back