Looking for director for videoclip

Hello guys,

I'm looking for the creative mind who is unbearably young, loves music, studying or ending filming school, has some directing experience and located in LA.

What for: work out on a video for european music project, in perspective to continue to work in other projects if collaboration fruitful for both sides.

You will have budget to realise your video, under supervision of indie record label.

There is already a general idea what should done, your task is develop it and make it live.

The video need to be filmed in LA, or Miami...that is why you should be located there.

It's fun project with a lot of potential, you will be able to add it in your portfolio, or your filming school project.

Music track: pop/electronica.
Street date: end of spring.

Please send your link to the realised work/experience, questions: info@jazzyorange.com

I would really appreciate if you can advise me the source where I can find young and talented directors, if this place is not suitable for this post.

thank you and have a great day!

Alfiya

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you're after since you've only posted a very general outline - do you mind including some more information about the Indie record label which will be involved, as well as perhaps an outline of the idea?

I think it will also help the guys looking around to understand exactly what they're up against before they dive in!

Cheers.

You have a point here, Josh.

It's new-new record label Public Different, we are launching it in April.
Three electronic projects will be released, for one of it, very commercial we need a video.

I can provide the link to the song for the ones who is interested.

The whole idea is quite simple to realise: as it's sultry female vocal married with electronic waves in a positive note of youth and beauty, the video should illustrate it in some point - kaleidoscope of young happy female faces, smiles, winks ....

Does it help?

Hello guys,
I'm looking for the creative mind who is unbearably young, loves music, studying or ending filming school, has some directing experience and located in LA.
Sounds like something I would enjoy doing.

However, I only meet three of five of your criteria - loves music, has
experience and located in LA.

thanks for honest response, directorik but it doesnt help a lot. We still need good quality images to pitch the music. Maybe you can spread word among your friends ? Is there any resources/forums you can advice?

I don't know any people who meet all five of your criteria.

If you are having trouble finding a director perhaps you
would consider changing your expanding who is eligible.
Right now your criteria is quite restrictive.

all right, let's stick to:
1. location: Florida, California
2. has music vid experience
3. has his/her equipment (camera) to film
Cool.

Now I meet your criteria. I'm in Los Angeles. I'd love to know more if
you haven't already found someone.

DirectoRick was pointing out you used marketing ideas as criteria for a director..

Your post says

"unbearably young, loves music, studying or ending filming school, has some directing experience and located in LA"

I had to interpret this in some way, I chose to read it as:

• unbearably young = 16-19 years old
  • Loves Music = everyone loves some kinda music
  • Studying = you must be in college
  • Ending Film school= you must be about to graduate from film school
  • Some directing experience = ok, easy enough
  • Lives in LA or Miami = easy enough
Very few if ANY human beings meet all those requirements

You might recreate an ad that has REAL requirements.

Good luck.

DirectoRick was pointing out you used marketing ideas as criteria for a director..

Your post says

"unbearably young, loves music, studying or ending filming school, has some directing experience and located in LA"

I had to interpret this in some way, I chose to read it as:

• unbearably young = 16-19 years old
  • Loves Music = everyone loves some kinda music
  • Studying = you must be in college
  • Ending Film school= you must be about to graduate from film school
  • Some directing experience = ok, easy enough
  • Lives in LA or Miami = easy enough
Very few if ANY human beings meet all those requirements

You might recreate an ad that has REAL requirements.

Good luck.

Haha considering most people aren't 16-19 when they GRADUATE from college.. Unbearably young? What a crazy requirement.

Haha considering most people aren't 16-19 when they GRADUATE from college.. Unbearably young? What a crazy requirement.
Wow! Sorry, guys, if my expectations were so high, not used to! We work pretty different here in France. Anyway, for this project looks like we found somebody.

BUT! There is another project on the way, but it's not payed. The song is called "Emergency", you can check it here:

http://soundcloud.com/publicdifferent/emergency-dms-tes

It could be rather simple visual. If you are interested, please shoot an email directly to the record label guys (their email is on the soundcloud profile), they are really nice!

Wow! Sorry, guys, if my expectations were so high, not used to! We work pretty different here in France. Anyway, for this project looks like we found somebody.
I think your expectations were too low. You so limited your choices
that you may have disregarded some excellent directors. Your
expectations should have been higher.

But it's good to hear you found someone who fit into your narrow
criteria.

Thank you for the advice, directorik! Next time will take it in consideration. I just had an experience spending to much time with directors by casting call with so broad expectations who didnt fit the project at all. That is why I preferred to be very precise.

Anyway, another project that I mentioned can fit everyone.

I'm going to make a slightly tangential point, but it's sort of relevant:

I once put a crew ad up where I mentioned that I was looking for 'young people who can do things better than people twice their age'. And I got two separate, older crew people sending me pissy emails about how ignorant my ad was.

Obviously, it's fair to be disappointed if someone is looking for younger crew people but I don't think there's anything unreasonable about it. As a writer/director I know that I am still young. I have had some great experiences with crew who are considerably older than me (even when I'm directing) but I am definitely more comfortable working in an environment with people closer to my own age. I've also, on a couple of occasions, had people signed up to my project and then drop out or stop returning emails when they find out how old I am- that tends not to happen when you go for young crew.

Not sure what the point I'm making is, just that sometimes I think it's perfectly reasonable to be looking for someone younger if that's what makes the project sing for you. Not sure if that's what the OP was getting at but, if it was, I understand what they mean.

I'm going to make a slightly tangential point, but it's sort of relevant:

I once put a crew ad up where I mentioned that I was looking for 'young people who can do things better than people twice their age'. And I got two separate, older crew people sending me pissy emails about how ignorant my ad was.

Obviously, it's fair to be disappointed if someone is looking for younger crew people but I don't think there's anything unreasonable about it. As a writer/director I know that I am still young. I have had some great experiences with crew who are considerably older than me (even when I'm directing) but I am definitely more comfortable working in an environment with people closer to my own age. I've also, on a couple of occasions, had people signed up to my project and then drop out or stop returning emails when they find out how old I am- that tends not to happen when you go for young crew.

Not sure what the point I'm making is, just that sometimes I think it's perfectly reasonable to be looking for someone younger if that's what makes the project sing for you. Not sure if that's what the OP was getting at but, if it was, I understand what they mean.

Thank you very much, Nick! This is exactly what I was trying to say, without any offense to Very Experienced Directors. For this particular project, that is pop girly project, you should target young audience. And create for young audience! I really feel uncomfortable if I have to show to somebody 55+ video of Leona Lewis or Jessie J and tell him "We want this!" Firstly, he will say "Well, it's a shitty popculture video!!" And we would say "Indeed! We dont want arty-farty for THIS project!"

Correct me if my logique is wrong.

It’s always reasonable to limit your choices. I hope my posts here
did not suggests a producer or director cannot not hire exactly
who they want. If you want ONLY people under 25 you should hire
ONLY people under 25.

I hope my posts here were understood as I intended. That this
project seemed like something I would very much enjoy doing and
that I am sad that I do meet the criteria. And that if Jazzy couldn’t
find the director who fit that criteria I would still like to be considered.

Many people prefer to work with people their own age. There’s no
problem with that. I have never been that way - I really enjoy
working with people who have more experience than me. But then,
I see my productions as a serious, professional environment and not
a group of people having fun. Even my very first short film - directed
at age 16 - most of my crew were people much older than me. I
learned a lot from them.

Please understand I am NOT saying there is anything wrong with
limiting your choices to people of a specific age. I think it’s just fine
for anyone to hire exactly the people they want.

I really feel uncomfortable if I have to show to somebody 55+ video of Leona Lewis or Jessie J and tell him "We want this!" Firstly, he will say "Well, it's a shitty popculture video!!" And we would say "Indeed! We dont want arty-farty for THIS project!"

Correct me if my logique is wrong.
I think it is wrong. Sure, you will find some older director who
will say that - you will find some young director who feel that
way. I have directed dozens of music videos off all types. I love
many different types of music. I know young director who do not so
age is not, necessarily, proof that they are open and creative.
When you limit your choices you limit the people you connect with.
You have a poor outlook on older directors. Maybe if you were more
open to them you would find that not all of them are as you believe.
Sometimes getting out of your comfort zone - trying something that
make you feel uncomfortable - is a good, creative and business choice.

I'm a fan of both Leona Lewis and Jessie J - especially Jessie. Love
"Nobody's Perfect" - great tune and the design of that music vid is
amazing. That's exactly the kind of video I am really good at. I must
admit - her videos are quite "arty-farty" so it's curious that you use
her as an example.

I call "arty-farty" videos like Kate Bush - "Lake Tahoe", it's too artistic and too niche. I'm huge fan of Jessie, love her live gigs. When I saw first time "Nobody's perfect" I loved the splashed colors, it marries perfectly with this song.

My favorite 2011 videos: "Girls panic" by Duran Duran, "Iron" by Woodkid and "On to the next one" by Jay-z. Or truth to say Akerlund, Yoanne Lemoine and Sam Brown. The types of videos I want to shoot one day or by one of these guys with the gear like Phantom. Big guys who need big budget, without it dont even bother to call their agency (except Lemoine I still think).

Back to our sheep. Maybe we just had bad experience and lost lot of money working with wrong people (we had already a case when we had to throw away two videos to the garbage because of bad directing - directors didnt understand the idea and atmosphere at all- and it was big budget for us! that didnt leave any financial resource to re-film it - you can imagine what it makes to the artist career???!!! we had to postpone the release now for one year. But it's artist caprice somewhere too - he has very particular and very ART idea - and script we want to realise is big for this project as video for "Telephone" by Gaga and Beyonce - yes, this artist is ambitious but he worth it - the album is terrific).

For this female project (...and it's sounds like Leona Lewis and it's smash for summer) we were thinking for director who can realise the visual as sexy, sultry and girly not vulgar or cheap. A simple visual that you can watch in 5 years and not be ashamed of.

Back