• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

A quick question on camera equipment

Currently, I'm a student working on an engineering project. The theme of my project involves achieving a variety of camera angles as well as various camera equipment. I have a few questions that can hopefully be answered by some people on this site.

What kind of camera equipment do you use the most and why?

What are some problems related to tripods and cranes?

Do you prefer hand held filming or filming with a tripod? Why?

What is the most important feature about equipment to you?

What kind of angles do you struggle to get or wish you could get more of?

I hope some of you take the time to answer a few of these questions, if not all of them. Any help I receive is greatly apprieciated. All I require is that you try to resond as soon as possible. Thank you!:)

I use a Canon 550D. It's sensor is the same size as motion picture film so there DoF characteristics are similar.

Biggest problem with a tripod: the tendency to let the camera sit there, and the desire to pan. Panning on a tripod with my camera gives you rolling shutter artifacts UNLESS you get the sensor out in front of your pivot point. The problems with jibs is the size and set up time.

I prefer to use my tripod for handheld. This makes my camera bigger and forces it to behave more like a motion picture film camera.

Most important feature is durability and ergonomics.

Can't really think of any angles I can't get. I get them all.

What kind of camera equipment do you use the most and why?
60D, tripod, 64Gb card...basics to get the job done...

What are some problems related to tripods and cranes?
if you have the wrong tripod you are going to hate your life while on set...for example using a tripod without a head is all sorts of bad...cranes can get in the way when not using them

Do you prefer hand held filming or filming with a tripod? Why?
If I have to go handheld I'd rather use my tripod with the camera holding the camera with two sticks in front...seems to be pretty darn stable to me...

What is the most important feature about equipment to you?
that it works..."you get what you pay for" but also remember that you need to know WHAT you are paying for...

What kind of angles do you struggle to get or wish you could get more of?
I don't really struggle to get angles but I will say that I am not a huge fan of dutch angles...especially on really wide lenses...I worked with a guy that loved doing every scene at least once dutch the whole take through...

Back