Home

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Making The Film > Tech Help

Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
grindfactor
Basic Member

Question Help Connecting Audio Interface to Dslr camera

So I want to be able to get the great sound quality I get from my audio gear as well as the good video.

I have a canon rebel t5i and I was wondering what I have to do to connect it to my audio interface, which is a presonus firestudio. That way I can use as many of the preamps as I want from the interface, multiple mics, and get great audio, while also getting the HD video at the same time so it doesn't have to be synced up in post. I thought about just getting a good shotgun mic but then I'd have only one audio track. But I am just planning on recording acoustic guitar and vocals, so maybe a good shotgun mic is all I need? Advice?

Main question: What connections and adapters do I need to connect my presonus firestudio audio interface into the 3.5mm jack of the mic input on the camera?

Thanks in advance for any help!
grindfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #2
Alcove Audio
Basic - Premiere Expired

I take it from your post you want to do a "music video" of you playing the guitar and singing.

Recording music live or in a recording studio is very different than doing production sound or audio post. And yes, I have done all four.

Music micing technics are vastly different than sound-for-picture. Music calls (most of the time) for close micing, whereas production sound calls for a more "realistic" approach.

My personal suggestion is that you record your audio and video separately and sync them later. If you are going to use multiple camera angles I suggest that you record the music first and lip/finger sync.

As fas as mics go a shotgun mic is (in most cases) not a good choice for recording music. As small diaphragm condenser would be a decent choice for the guitar, a large diaphragm condenser a solid choice for vocals.

More details about your goals and current assets (like the Presonus, your mics, etc.) would be a tremendous help.

Here's Richie Havens back in the day with a Shure SM-58 on both guitar and vocals. The -58 is a dynamic mic used mostly for live work.

Alcove Audio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #3
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Wong tool for the job, and I second Alcove.

On a related note, by trying to cram that audio down a pipe and into your DSLR, you’re automatically degrading the quality of your signal. DSLR cameras are well-known for having internal audio circuits that are pretty bad.

More than one or two mics is a production sound situation that calls for more than two record tracks for your sound (camera’s 1/L, 2/R) unless you have a VERY skilled PSM on your crew. A single mic can be recorded to the camera on both channels. Two mics can be panned hard L and hard R and recorded separately in-camera. That gives you control over the mix in post. To repeat, in-camera sound on a DSLR sucks either way. Even with only two mics (voice and guitar) you’ll be better off recording them to a computer or other dedicated audio recorder instead of in-camera.

If you’re shooting for a music video, as Alcove mentioned, you’ll want to get a good recording before you shoot the video. Then, pantomime/lip-sync to playback of the recording.

If you’re looking instead for a live recording (Coffee house? Club? Small concert venue?), then your best bet is to record the sound separately anyway - and at 48kHz, the sample rate of audio for video - and in multitrack format. Then you can mix the sound later and marry it back to the video for much better results.
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote