I need some suggestions.....

I'm looking at getting a camera of my own, and the Sony SCR-HC20 is looking mighty nice: it's cheap ($380 of eBay), it has a great user interface, and it takes very nice footage for its price. Plus, it's MiniDV.

Does anyone have this camera? What do you think of it?

I'd also like to get some accessories. Some lens filters would be nice, any suggesstions? And what kind of audio options should I be thinking about? I'd like to get a microphone, something like the type of mics I see documentary makers using. What are those called? What jacks do you need in the camera to record with said microphone?

I'm pretty sure you mean the DCR-HC20?

Here is one review of it here.

It has a teeny single CCD, at 1/6th inch.

Here is a very basic look at microphones. It briefly describes two external mics you might be talking about.

Most consumer-grade camcorders have a 1/8th inch jack input for Ext. Mic. Some mics will have an 1/4 inch plug, but a $3 part from Radio Shack can step it down, if you need to get it into your camera.

Zensteve said:
I'm pretty sure you mean the DCR-HC20?

Here is one review of it here.

It has a teeny single CCD, at 1/6th inch.

Here is a very basic look at microphones. It briefly describes two external mics you might be talking about.

Most consumer-grade camcorders have a 1/8th inch jack input for Ext. Mic. Some mics will have an 1/4 inch plug, but a $3 part from Radio Shack can step it down, if you need to get it into your camera.

I just finished reading an article about buying a DV camera here on IndieTalk, so now I know a thing or two about CCD's. You're right, the 1/6" one is too small. Right now, I like the looks of the Canon Optura 30, or 40. Guess I should start saving!

Thank you for the links!

Back