• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

THE TORN DRESS is a title I failed

The title is: THE TORN DRESS. Can you think of a story having this title?

I had this on an exam and I failed.
Can you come up with an interesting story which title is: The torn dress?

If I understand correctly you just get the title right? You can be as creative as you want? If thats the case I'm sure everyone will do a dress about a girl that gets torn. Maybe consider other paths.

-Transvestite beauty pageant torn dress
-The torn dress is a doll's dress
-Detectives find a torn dress and must find the girl within 24 hours
-Murder mystery of 5 girls living in a house having a dinner party, Lights go out and one by one dresses get torn?

I dont know what do you guys think?

If I understand correctly you just get the title right? You can be as creative as you want? If thats the case I'm sure everyone will do a dress about a girl that gets torn. Maybe consider other paths.

-Transvestite beauty pageant torn dress

Cliche, sory

-The torn dress is a doll's dress

Easy to say

-Detectives find a torn dress and must find the girl within 24 hours

It has to be a short story

-Murder mystery of 5 girls living in a house having a dinner party, Lights go out and one by one dresses get torn?

I love this, tnx

I dont know what do you guys think?

We had to create a story, which we directly had to put on stage with actors.

The examiners see the short play on stage only, not the screenplay, and if we pass, the next exam is to shoot the same short story me directed on stage

This is Bulgaria state funded Film Academy, yo

Common guys, nobody came up with a good story yet.

The story I wrote
was about a girl, who goes on a first date.
While waiting for her date, she comes across a childhood friend, who's in love with her.
Her date arrives, but the childhood friend tears her dress apart. She is embarrassed.. But she is even more beautiful without a dress...
My mistake was that I made the "date" take his pants off in consideration with the girl, so she doesn't feel embarrassed. STUPID

Well, I can kind of see if you have the faculty sitting there and the actress loses her dress ripped off by one male ('childhood friend) and the actor ('date') takes off his pants how they might wonder what kind of film you're making! :blush: The Film Academy probably doesn't make adult films normally.

For your next film idea, I would advise steering clear of potentially sexual situations! The faculty is probably already watching how you will handle your next assignment in this regard.

Well, I can kind of see if you have the faculty sitting there and the actress loses her dress ripped off by one male ('childhood friend) and the actor ('date') takes off his pants how they might wonder what kind of film you're making! :blush: The Film Academy probably doesn't make adult films normally.

For your next film idea, I would advise steering clear of potentially sexual situations! The faculty is probably already watching how you will handle your next assignment in this regard.

TRUE

And then the question arises

Why should we be, as you put it ":blush:", from a human body ?

Programming is a pain, but a fact of life. I don't know if Bulgaria is traditionaly Catholic or Orthodox, but

either could have something to do with this??? Also, it is a State run institution, so whether they agree or

disagree is not the issue. They have to take into account the broadest spectrum of public opinion they can

and try and tread that thin line of justifying funding to BOTH liberals and conservatives. Just a thought. I

could be wrong.

Get into the school first, then break the rules! I didn't say that I agree, but if they are older instructors who still carry with them conservative social beliefs, they may be hard to convince. You must ask yourself about your motivation--to get into film school or to shock the faculty. It seems you could make erotic films without going to film school. And I'm sure they'd sell well. If you are sincere about being accepted into the film school, then you must accept that you must play by their rules until you graduate. It is true everywhere. Before you can be a journeyman, you must first be the apprentice.

Get into the school first, then break the rules! I didn't say that I agree, but if they are older instructors who still carry with them conservative social beliefs, they may be hard to convince. You must ask yourself about your motivation--to get into film school or to shock the faculty. It seems you could make erotic films without going to film school. And I'm sure they'd sell well. If you are sincere about being accepted into the film school, then you must accept that you must play by their rules until you graduate. It is true everywhere. Before you can be a journeyman, you must first be the apprentice.

I agree

To disagree

that the story I wrote was erotic

But I feel you're right somehow...

A young boy's father has remarried after losing his wife to cancer. The evil step mother has taken the reigns of household finances. After a bad car accident, the father dies and leaves the boy living with the step mother and her, paedo, mother. One day after school, the boy is walking home reminiscing about his mother. After getting home from school, he goes under his bed and pulls out a large box. He opens it. Inside is a small, modest wedding dress, still bright. He holds the dress, rubbing it against his cheek and smelling it for nostalgia. Suddenly, footsteps, and before he knows it, the grandmother walks in on him. She smacks him for playing with a dress and tells him to take off his clothes. Finally having enough, he decides to stand up for himself and screams a defiant, "NOOOOO". The grandmother approaches, angry. "You little shit. You don't wanna take off your clothes form grandma, grandma'll do it for you!" He runs out of the room and waits at the top of the stairs. As she reaches out, the boy ducks under her. She turns to try and grab his shirt collar but loses her balance and tumbles down the stairs breaking her neck. The young boy stares at her body, still and mangled. He goes back into his room and takes out his shoe box of old photos. He begins to cry thinking about how things were when "mother" was around. His step mother arrives home from a hard day's work. She screams as she finds her mother lying dead at the bottom of the stairs. The boy comes out of his room and meets her gaze at the top of the stairs. He clenches his fist around tightly around the dress. She storms up the stairs irate and ready to put the boy in the hospital or worse. As the boy hides back in his room she busts through the door. she opens the closet and finds him standing still....holding the dress. She goes to grab at it but he snatches it away. Assuming its value to the boy, she tries again this time catching a grip. She pulls thinking an easy jerking will free the boys grip. But fueled with rage, sadness, and his defiance, the boys hold is stronger than first anticipated. She begins to pull harder and harder, dragging the boy along the carpet. As she pulls the fabric begins to tear slightly at the waist. Finally backing up against a window sill, she rips at the dress one more time with great vigor and determination. But the dress has weakened and her final yank has doomed her fate. The dress rips in half and her momentum from all her anger and animosity sends her flying backwards out the window. She hits the concrete with a loud thud, her body twitches and blood begins to pool around her head. The boy, sitting on the floor, clutching his dead mother's dress, rises. He walks over to the window and peaks out. The half of the dress still in his stepmother's hand has begin to stain red. The boy turns back to the shoe box. He picks it up, opens the lid and stuffs the remainder of the dress inside. He tucks it under his arm and leaves the room, the house, the life, the death.

Last edited:
Thank you, CHamburger.

A boy is constantly abused by his step mother. His father doesn't know.
One day the stepmother finds the boy playing with his dead mother's wedding dress. She grabs it. The boy doesn't let it go. They pull the dress until it tears.
The boy falls down unconscious.
The father comes home and witnesses the falling of the boy.
He kicks out the stepmother.
The boy wakes up in the hospital. His father's sitting next to his bed mending his mother's wedding dress.

Pretty interesting assignment. Hmmm....

Yeah, they give you a title like THE TORN DRESS and the next day you need to come up with a short story which you have to put on stage with maximum of 4 actors, students in the academy.
Which means you can't have children and old people in the story.
And if you pass, you have to shoot the same story in the studio of the academy or outside, near the building.
I wonder if there's a tougher exam anywhere in the world?!
Oh, well...

Back