• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Distribution for Native American Documentary

I have offered to help someone sell re-releases of a Award Winning Native American Documentary of the California Chumash and a couple of other bands. I suggested e-bay and I think that is a good idea and a few sites which are related but I am wondering if there is any other way to distirbute such genre. I think e-bay is a good idea because it always comes up on searches for particular subjects but I think schools etc would want DVD's on the subject. Are there any 'clearing' houses etc that do such a thing? We want the most bang for our buck because we are using it as seed money for another film. Any suggestions will help.

We have the rights, my cousin is the producer/director. This would be a third release, the first was on VHS and then there was one on DVD. It was used on PBS and in schools as a educational tool with wookbook. Now we want to re-release it for it is a historical documentation. Alot of the people in the series are no longer alive....now we want to re-release it. He gave me the job....just exploring the new venues for sales. Interesting because during the first releases there was no internet! (pay pal or e-bay)
thanks
teresa

Personally I don't think e-bay would be a good way to sell the film. Yes, thousands of people go there per hour, and you might get hits and sales, but if you want schools to buy it you need to have your own website and payment method. By doing it this way, it seems more credible. If you sell the DVDs on the site for $9.95 including shipping and on ebay for $9.95 + S&H, then they'd be more enclined to go to the site, which would promote the site.
Your site should educate the viewer as to who the tribe is, why it's important for them to learn about them, and the value of the education.
You can do payments through PayPal from your site. People DO NOT have to be a member or sign up for PayPal in order to pay with PayPal.

Yes, that was my thinking as well, some people do not like e-bay. We have a website being developed for the Production Company with a link to purchase via pay pal. I noticed that google and yahoo also have low cost advertising per hit/budget. So if someone searches Chumash then my ad would come up. That also happens with e-bay. It will be interesting. I just do not want to spend more money than we make....I also got some inexpensive business cards made for networking with e-mail and website address.
thanks for your info
teresa

Back