• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Footage test for virtual set Film-Noir/Comedy

Here is an early test shot where we inserted a newly filmed image into old un-used Hollywood 35mm stock footage. We are now in production with a full-length feature (a film-noir send-up/comedy) called CURSE OF THE JAGGAR MOON that utilizes almost entirely virtual sets and PD film clips composited together with new original footage. This has allowed us to produce a 1940's period film on a micro budget. With an all volunteer case and crew, the only real expense so far has been in wardrobe and hand-props, which are all 100% period correct.

http://youtu.be/jQ2B8WShA74

Last edited:
There's something off about the comp... I can't tell if it's just the lighting or if there's gamma issues, but something is definitely off.

I think it's partly the lighting is not quite right, and partly the costume - he's so much darker than everyone else

Last edited:
Looks pretty good overall, but I agree - I feel like he needs just a bit more contrast to match the people in the background. The perspective is a little off too - his size isn't quite right, it's most apparent at 0:19 where the guy walks behind him... your actor's shoulders and hips just about match his, which suggests his floor is too high for where he's standing. Also, I wasn't sure if that's gate weave from the background plate or you were deliberately wiggling the whole shot - but the motion looks artificial to me, like what you get from AE's wiggler, and I found it slightly distracting. All this is just me being picky though, I do think the shot works - and I like the overall concept, it'll be interesting to see how the full project turns out.

Last edited:
Matt,

Considering your budget and volunteer crew I'm very impressed with what you are up to. I assume that your comp was also donated to the project, and it looks pretty good. No doubt you'd refine the look as you did more of these.

When I think about the amount of lighting/perspective matching and composites you need to do for a feature of this type, my brain hurts (I also work in VFX).

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thomas

I'd also recommend denoising/descratching the old footage, and then after comping in your actors apply a grain/scratch layer over the comp. That should help sell the illusion if it being made from a single shot. Grain mismatch will immediately scream out "fake!".

I was going to say, it looks great. I don't know what any of you are talking about... then realised it was a youtube advert... lol

It looks fine. Though if possible consider changing his suit darkness, his suit being way darker than every other suit makes you wonder.

Also, I wasn't sure if that's gate weave from the background plate or you were deliberately wiggling the whole shot -

That's all natural gate weave from the 35mm print. I motion tracked it and then applied that to the new footage layer to match, but no artificial motion has been added to the background. Like I said, this is an early pre-production test and this particular scene is not part of the film. The costume (especially the hat) is just something we had on hand, and also not part of the actual production wardrobe either.

Thanks much to all for your suggestions. It is a learning process for sure. Ultimately, this film is a comedy, so if things seem a little off it may serve to only enhance the gag . . . sort of an homage to the old fake "process shots" so common to the film-noir era. But that said, we still want to make every effort to match things up as best we can.

In addition to these "process" shots, much of the film is our actors playing off of clips culled from old Hollywood film-noirs now in public domain.

The link below is a comparison between a clip from Kansas City Confidential (PD) and the scene as it is used in our production.

http://youtu.be/NjX0AO0i6vo

Last edited:
I'd also recommend denoising/descratching the old footage, and then after comping in your actors apply a grain/scratch layer over the comp. That should help sell the illusion if it being made from a single shot. Grain mismatch will immediately scream out "fake!".

I agree 100%, Escher. I will be doing just that once we get to that point.

Back