• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Music Video w/ black screen

Here's a video I shot using a black screen. I shot it with a Nikon d3100 with 18-55 VR kit lens. Used a tripod for most of the video (because I'm in it) and used HD stocks. Leave comments, likes, criticism etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeTRBOZUAT8

Last edited:
i saw someone in a skimask with mr T's jewellery waving his finger like it was on fire.

there was as much artist flair in this video as there was logical sense from mr bean.

19739043.jpg

*constructive criticism

ok, dont ever film a vid like that again, its a shambles, its typical, its stereo typical, its boring, no one wants to watch you pulling on your mask and pointing your finger, its been done, its been dead, its time for the innovative.

you used stock footage that looks like something from action essentials.

you put in clips from videos which do you even have permission to use?

I ask you something, out of all the music videos in the hip hop industry, do you consider this to be of interest to anyone?

of course this is subjective and you may be better off asking someone who actually likes your music?

have you tried posting on hip hop forums?

ok, dont ever film a vid like that again, its a shambles, its typical, its stereo typical, its boring, no one wants to watch you pulling on your mask and pointing your finger, its been done, its been dead, its time for the innovative.

I ask you something, out of all the music videos in the hip hop industry, do you consider this to be of interest to anyone?

of course this is subjective and you may be better off asking someone who actually likes your music?

Don't disrespect me; I think it has an interesting concept/visual aesthetic but needs work..this is my 3rd video, 1st with my new camera so I tested the black screen etc. Based on the song, what type of video should I have filmed?

I think comments like these don't really help someone grow. I don't see how yacht could react with anything other than defensiveness, when all you're doing is shooting him down with reckless abandon, not offering any constructive insight. Comments like these are kinda flamey, and can only discourage budding artists from sharing their work. It can take a lot of courage for a new artist to put themselves out there; we don't need to stomp anyone down. Especially since we're pretty much all in the same boat.

yacht, I think I can see what you were going for. The flames and smoke can be a cool aesthetic, and I thought it was pretty cool, in addition to the words-on-screen thing. However, I don't think you can build an entire video on just that. Also, if you're going to use visual flare as the basic concept of your video, I think it's gotta fly at us with such high energy that we're constantly being surprised by the next cool image (and there needs to be variety). I hate to say it, but as is, this video just lacks energy, and the visuals, though they are pretty cool, get old real quick.

I think it was shot pretty well, though I sometimes found myself wishing to be able to see the rapper's face (and eyes) better. I'm thinking maybe a ring-light might help? Also, it seemed like his performance wasn't always completely in sync with the music, and that's a pretty easy fix in post (don't be afraid of slightly speeding-up and/or slowing down portions of a particular shot).

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and good luck with all future endeavors! :)

I think comments like these don't really help someone grow. I don't see how yacht could react with anything other than defensiveness, when all you're doing is shooting him down with reckless abandon, not offering any constructive insight. Comments like these are kinda flamey, and can only discourage budding artists from sharing their work. It can take a lot of courage for a new artist to put themselves out there; we don't need to stomp anyone down. Especially since we're pretty much all in the same boat.

yacht, I think I can see what you were going for. The flames and smoke can be a cool aesthetic, and I thought it was pretty cool, in addition to the words-on-screen thing. However, I don't think you can build an entire video on just that. Also, if you're going to use visual flare as the basic concept of your video, I think it's gotta fly at us with such high energy that we're constantly being surprised by the next cool image (and there needs to be variety). I hate to say it, but as is, this video just lacks energy, and the visuals, though they are pretty cool, get old real quick.

I think it was shot pretty well, though I sometimes found myself wishing to be able to see the rapper's face (and eyes) better. I'm thinking maybe a ring-light might help? Also, it seemed like his performance wasn't always completely in sync with the music, and that's a pretty easy fix in post (don't be afraid of slightly speeding-up and/or slowing down portions of a particular shot).

Anyway, thanks for sharing, and good luck with all future endeavors! :)

im under no false impression that i was harsh, but what did you want me to say? he asked specifically for comments, likes, criticism etc, so i gave him my comments and criticism.. im not gonna lie to him and say it was good when in my opinion it wasnt.

it was basically the same thing over and over again while using footage he didnt have permission for...

i like to be real and tell it how i see it, iv slated my own work which iv described as much worse... he got what he asked for and is now in receipt of two different opinions.

if we are not allowed to express our opinions then who are we but mute animals...

im under no false impression that i was harsh, but what did you want me to say? he asked specifically for comments, likes, criticism etc, so i gave him my comments and criticism.. im not gonna lie to him and say it was good when in my opinion it wasnt.

it was basically the same thing over and over again while using footage he didnt have permission for...

i like to be real and tell it how i see it, iv slated my own work which iv described as much worse... he got what he asked for and is now in receipt of two different opinions.

if we are not allowed to express our opinions then who are we but mute animals...

I never said you shouldn't express your opinion. I will echo the words of the OP to emphasize that *constructive criticism is what's needed. That doesn't mean you have to lie; that just means that you frame your criticism in a way that is intended to help your fellow artist improve on themselves.

Also, I think it's best not to throw stones from glass houses.

I'll echo CF.

Not a bad idea and the visuals worked and I thought the text on screen was a nice touch, it was too much of the same thing for the entire song though. This is the type of thing that would work well playing in the background of a live show with the artist out front and lights and a hazer going haywire. On it's own it needs a little more to pop though.

From a design background, I thought you did pretty good with the Typography and text placement, but if you're leaving it as is video-wise you could definitely take it up a notch to add more visual interest.

Ever since Thriller music videos have to tell a story. Can't just be performance footage. Cut away to scenes of someone doing something else and show a story through it. The lyrics of your song are pretty self congratulatory so I don't know how much of a story is inherent in it, maybe play off the whole conspiracy thing you keep pointing out and see people making their way to a secret meeting or something?

Either way, I checked out some of your other videos and it's definitely a step up! As long as what you're making improves with each project you're doing right man.

I never said you shouldn't express your opinion. I will echo the words of the OP to emphasize that *constructive criticism is what's needed. That doesn't mean you have to lie; that just means that you frame your criticism in a way that is intended to help your fellow artist improve on themselves.

Also, I think it's best not to throw stones from glass houses.

your referring to my youtube channel for some reason? did i say my work is better than his? have i shown any of those videos apart from the first one on this forum asking for criticism? no.. theres a reason for that most of them were tests when i first started out, i see your trying to turn this against me, however if you saw the OP's Original post at the top it clearly states and il say it again, leave your comments, likes and criticism.. if you ask that and not be really specific like he was in his next reply then obviously to me he has taken offence to my comments, theres a reason the audience hate to love simon cowell because he says it how it is, you either say ok thanks anyone elses views, or you swing a bat back claiming it was unfair criticism.

anyways i never told him to stop making videos i told him to be more creative and less stereo typical, whats the problem with that.

Music+lyrics aside... (I'm a middle aged white dude = respect the culture+don't get it = whatever :lol:)

So... on with the actual video as a tool to peddle the song!

You did a good job with your camera capturing the images you wanted.
I really don't see how that can be improved much.
The black of the outfit blended well with the background. Good lighting.
The contrast with the elements that should be seen look good. Congrats.

I like the typography concept, the timing in editing is spot on, and the resolution is great.
I feeeeeel that it's a bit excessive in the extent to which it is used - HOWEVER... ! HOWEVER... ! HOWEVER... !
Repetition Repetition Repetition Repetition Repetition Repetition Repetition is a reoccurring theme I've noticed from what few rap videos I've deconstructively actively watched (maybe fifty or so).
So... industry-wise I think that's okay - but I honestly would seek the counsel of those who do consider themselves "good" at evaluating rap videos.
Rap videos are kinduva specialty thing.

The extensive use of clips from copyrighted material is a major no-no - but does leave windows in the overall video for you to go film your own material and insert it in those spaces.
Which you should seriously do.
Seriously.

I think your editing skills are fine.

@ 2:42 you've got some technical issues going on with the smoke+cinemascope matte bars+flaming coals that needs addressing.

And the smoke stuff is just... a weeee lot.
But if the repetitiveness of the lyrics combined with the bell tolling combined with the smoke is supposed to suggest some Catholic incense censer/ganja induced hypnotic state - THEN YOU'RE GOOOD! :lol:

Your call. :yes:

(don't be afraid of slightly speeding-up and/or slowing down portions of a particular shot).
I like this idea, especially the slowing down part.
That could work well on the bell tolls.

Last edited:
Back