• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

How to Make a Killing - securing funding

Hey guys,

I'm having trouble financing my debut feature film How to Make a Killing. The cast and crew are in place and my script has been written and approved by everyone involved. As a 17-year-old filmmaker in the United Kingdom, it's especially hard to be taken seriously and get financing. I'm hoping to shoot the film when I move down to London in the summer to attend university. Does anyone have experience with getting a feature film funded that they can possibly use to help me out? I'm not quite sure how to phrase this request, but I'd just like some guidance and pointing in the right direction because it currently seems like I'll never get funded. I just need to scrape together a few thousand for the camera and sound equipment I need and I'll be ready, but borrowing bits and pieces from friends doesn't seem to be working.

Thanks!

I'd certainly suggest that rather than trying to raise money to buy you look at finding like minded people to collaborate with who already have the equipment. That will slash the budget.

Do you have a script written?

I'd certainly suggest that rather than trying to raise money to buy you look at finding like minded people to collaborate with who already have the equipment. That will slash the budget.

Do you have a script written?

I've signed up to a lot of forums and sites like this one to do just that, and I've also sent out a lot of emails etc. in the hopes of finding someone to possibly collaborate with. So far I've emailed at least 50 newspapers here in the UK and I'm trying to get onto radio shows during their "movies" section, just in case the right person is listening and wants to get in touch. The script has been finished, it went through about 4-5 drafts before being finalised and agreed upon by everyone involved, including actors (sigh of relief!).

Does anyone have experience with getting a feature film funded that they can possibly use to help me out?

I have. And I can offer some suggestions. Before I do I would like
a little more information from you.

You say you only need a few thousand for the camera and sound equipment
so I will assume for the moment that all the other costs are covered. Am I
correct? If so you may not need to answer the following questions.

1) What format is it being shot on?
2) What is the budget?
3) Do you have a complete, line item budget prepared?
4) What's the intended market and what is your distribution plan?
5) What funding do you have in place already?
6) Is there anyone involved in the project who has successfully taken
a film to market and produced a profit for investors?

I have. And I can offer some suggestions. Before I do I would like
a little more information from you.

You say you only need a few thousand for the camera and sound equipment
so I will assume for the moment that all the other costs are covered. Am I
correct? If so you may not need to answer the following questions.

1) What format is it being shot on?
2) What is the budget?
3) Do you have a complete, line item budget prepared?
4) What's the intended market and what is your distribution plan?
5) What funding do you have in place already?
6) Is there anyone involved in the project who has successfully taken
a film to market and produced a profit for investors?

All the other costs are covered, but I'll answer the questions anyway in case it helps.

1) I'm hopefully shooting the film on a Panasonic AG-HMC150.
2) There pretty much is no budget, as stupid as that may sound. The entire cast and crew have agreed to do this as a non-paid favour, although I will give them a slice of the profits if any are actually earned.
3) I'm going to guess "no" on this one, since I'm not entirely sure what you mean in this context.
4) The intended market is pretty much everyone and anyone, but I have a strong feeling it will be rated for 18+ due to a sex scene, violence, drug use and profanity.
5) I have no real funding in place as of now, which is why I'm looking for help. I'm just scraping bits and pieces from friends, relatives and birthday / Christmas money. I've applied for a few jobs but have had no luck so far. I've already got a lot of editing equipment collected from over a few years of amateur filmmaking (Adobe, Sony, etc).
6) A few of the actors have had cinema releases with some of their projects, but no-one who has taken a film to market and produced a profit for investors is involved otherwise.

A lot of these answers, I understand, will make me seem very amateur. I'm just finding it hard to communicate the passion I have for filmmaking and the determination I have to get this film done and make it successful.

You’re right - the answers make you seem like an amateur. There is
no shame in being a first timer.

Work on the answers to those questions and you will get closer to
being ready to speak to people with money.

1) I didn’t ask about the camera - only the format.
2) “pretty much no budget” is not the answer someone with money to
finance a film is looking for. If you need £70, say so and have a
budget ready to show exactly where ever penny of that £70 will go.
If you need £700 or £7,000 the same thing applies.
3) A line item budget is what someone with money is going to want
to see. It lists exactly where every single penny will be spent.
From meals to petrol to insurance to coffee to light bulbs.
4) Not a good enough answer. Of course you hope pretty much
everyone and anyone will want to pay to watch your movie, but you
need a plan someone with money can understand. clearly you don’t
think it should be marketed to 9 year olds, so your “ pretty much
everyone and anyone” is not what you mean.
5) A person who might be interested in funding a movie isn’t
interested in what jobs you have applied for. If you have no
funding in place, say so. Nothing wrong with that.
6) An excellent, straight forward answer. More like that, and you
will be closer to asking for funding.

There are two distinctly different groups of people who will fund
a movie. Investors who are looking for an investment and friends
and family who believe in you and in your passion. In both cases
the better you can answer the six questions, the better your
chances of getting money.

You say, “I just need to scrape together a few thousand for the
camera and sound equipment”. If that’s really all you need and you
won’t be asking for any other money at all, then your only
realistic option are friends and family. They are the people who
believe in you and understand your passion and determination.

In that case my list is a little different:
1) The format it’s being shot on
2) The line item budget.
3) What your plans are with the finished movie.
4) A short bio of the people involved.
5) The amount of days you will need to shoot and edit.
6) A copy of the script.

The line item budget may only be the actual costs for the camera
and sound equipment - but have an exact number ready.

Have you considered things like meals? When asking people to work
on a feature length film for free, a meal or two can be a big
help. What about any location costs? Wardrobe? Make-up? Perhaps a
few pounds for people driving around?

Since all other costs are covered it would still be a good idea to
show people a full line item budget of every penny you will be
spending and where that money is coming from.

It’s pretty difficult isn’t it? Funding is MUCH harder than making
a movie.

Yeah, I never realised just how difficult it is. Still, I’m glad I posted this because I know I’ll get good answers and be better off because of it.

1) Although I’ve shot a few music videos / short films, this is going to sound so stupid but what exactly do you mean? The AVCHD format of the Panasonic?
2) £2,015 for the camera, and unknown for the microphone equipment. I’m trying to find a suitable boom microphone but having no luck - if you could help me find one, that would be great. I watched this film http://vimeo.com/13474972 the other day, which was shot on the camera I want to buy, and the sound quality was the sort of cinematic quality I’m looking for. However, I’m not sure if that’s an external microphone or the built-in one of the AG-HMC150.
3) I plan to enter the movie into festivals around the world, such as Cannes, in order to generate some interest from potential distributors.
4) Do you mean a paragraph about what the actors or crew have previously been involved in?
5) I estimate 12 weeks (10 for shooting, 2 for editing).

I have considered food and travel, and have agreed with everyone involved that food won’t be provided every time as we’ll be filming in short bursts in order to avoid people getting hungry or bored. However, I have said that I’ll buy everyone fast food or something during a break in a big shooting day. The film mostly takes place in houses or isolated / abandoned locations, so I’m aiming to use the guerilla filmmaking technique of getting in, shooting the footage and getting out before anyone knows we’ve been there. I’ve already bought the makeup and fake blood needed, so no worries there.

I’ll also be paying people back for petrol use at the end of shooting, which is something we’re yet to discuss. Wardrobe-wise, everyone has been told what their characters wear and when they wear it, and the cast have agreed to provide their own costumes.

A strong treatment, consisting of all of the above stated by Rik, aswell as your catalogue of work that proves you can create strong material on a little-to-no budget, is vital.

It's very much in the "Pitch". It takes alot of research. However, i don't believe this to be the correct route for your approach. Again as Rik has said, i'd suggest you try to raise the funds of your own means.

You must understand that although "Guerilla" style film-making, may be attainable, and even appealing. It can be very, very risky. Entering any shoot without insurance is, and always will be a risk. Just aslong as you know the scale of the lawsuit that could arise, would be into the millions for the smallest injury, or the slightest damage to property.

Would i suggest you to film without insurance? No. But that's just caution on my part.

There are alot of hidden costs in your needs. So much will come down to collaboration, to those who do choose to collaborate having the equipment, and be willing to go without food/expenses cover. That's a tough ask.

Shooting in short bursts may stop hunger, but it will increase travel costs, schedule, and will question the drive of your cast/crew.

I wouldn't suggest purchasing a camera as the main focal point of your budget. Nor do i think if i was pitched a project, and was to discover that the entire budget was to be spent on the camera, could i help but be a little worried.

"Sound" can be just as expensive as the visual. Do not underestimate it.

I would suggest looking into renting your equipment, once you've accessed your willing collaborators, and have discovered what it is you need to get the very best out of your material, put the costs of renting all the needed equipment beside the necessity/price of purchasing.

Sincerely, i wouldn't suggest applying for funding, which this side of the pond, has become tougher than ever. There are so many intricities, and people to meet, that take years of networking to be in with a chance of external investment.

Keep working at this bud, it will take alot of work, but everything does.

As a 17-year-old filmmaker in the United Kingdom, it's especially hard to be taken seriously and get financing
It's hard for anyone to get funding, especially since the whole indie film business has become so fragmented, the economy, file sharing, etc.

Yeah, I never realised just how difficult it is. Still, I’m glad I posted this because I know I’ll get good answers and be better off because of it.
That's what we do here at indietalk.

1) Although I’ve shot a few music videos / short films, this is going to sound so stupid but what exactly do you mean? The AVCHD format of the Panasonic?
The format is either film or digital.
2) £2,015 for the camera, and unknown for the microphone equipment.
So you need more than £2,015. Before you look for funding from any
source you will need to be able to tell them exactly how much you
need.

I’m trying to find a suitable boom microphone but having no luck - if you could help me find one, that would be great. I watched this film http://vimeo.com/13474972 the other day, which was shot on the camera I want to buy, and the sound quality was the sort of cinematic quality I’m looking for. However, I’m not sure if that’s an external microphone or the built-in one of the AG-HMC150.
Right here in indietalk you will find many posts about audio and
microphones. I hope you can find some time to look around. Short
answer: you will NEVER use the on camera mic.

3) I plan to enter the movie into festivals around the world, such as Cannes, in order to generate some interest from potential distributors.
Where are you going to get the money for the submission fees?
Entering the top festivals where distributors go to find films
will be very expensive. You should research the festivals you want
to enter (they all have websites) and add up all the costs. It
can't hurt to understand that submitting and getting accepted are
not the same thing. Do you know what types of films a festival
like Cannes programs?

What are your plans if your movie isn’t accepted in the top
festivals? Yours will probably be the best of the best, but it
can’t hurt to think about other options.

Have you thought about how much it's going to cost you if
get accepted at Cannes, or Sundance or Venice? You want
to meet with the distributors; who pays for those trips?
4) Do you mean a paragraph about what the actors or crew have previously been involved in?
A short biography of the key members will help people understand a
little about your choices. A bio isn't a resume.
5) I estimate 12 weeks (10 for shooting, 2 for editing).
Two weeks to edit a feature film? Including all audio and music?
Are you sure? I know I couldn't do it working 80 hour weeks.

If you came to me asking for money and told me you were going
to edit a feature film in two weeks I would ask, “Are you sure?”.

Ten weeks of shooting; I know you don't mean ten, five day weeks
shooting 12 hours a day. That's why my number 5 question is "the
amount of days" you will need. How many total days will you be
shooting? To show how serious and dedicated and prepared you are
you should have a full day by day schedule.

I have considered food and travel, and have agreed with everyone involved that food won’t be provided every time as we’ll be filming in short bursts in order to avoid people getting hungry or bored. However, I have said that I’ll buy everyone fast food or something during a break in a big shooting day. The film mostly takes place in houses or isolated / abandoned locations, so I’m aiming to use the guerilla filmmaking technique of getting in, shooting the footage and getting out before anyone knows we’ve been there. I’ve already bought the makeup and fake blood needed, so no worries there.
So in your line item budget you should show exactly how many days
you will be buying everyone fast food or something and exactly how
much that will cost. Are you asking the people funding for that
money, or are you covering that yourself?

I’ll also be paying people back for petrol use at the end of shooting, which is something we’re yet to discuss. Wardrobe-wise, everyone has been told what their characters wear and when they wear it, and the cast have agreed to provide their own costumes.
Time to discuss it. That money should be on your budget.

What happens if someone's own clothes are damaged during the
shoot? You can’t shoot the next scene with different clothes. Does
each actor have two or three of the same costume? Are they willing
to pay for this?

Asking people for money isn't easy. If you got exactly £2,015 by March
you still would be a long way from making your movie. And the people
who gave you the £2,015 would then start asking questions about your
movie.

Are you prepared to do a full, line item budget for this project?

I see what you mean about it being quite a drawn-out process now! Thanks for the replies - I'm going to find the audio equipment I need, start a line item budget right now, and write up a schedule of what's going to happen day-by-day. I obviously haven't given enough thought to submitting the film to festivals, but I've now realised that this needs a lot more planning in regards to other aspects of the film I had previously thought completed. I'll make another post in this thread once I have a line item budget to show you.

In response to the shooting/editing time, is there a definite way a filmmaker can roughly estimate how long both shooting and editing will take? I find it hard to give such a guess when there's a lot of things to get out of the way, although I've never worked with an entire main cast of actors (usually just friends who are interested in acting, mainly my martial arts teacher who I convinced to sign up to a casting agency) so I'm hopeful that having to work around people's day jobs won't be such a hassle. Also, about the clothes, the cast have been informed that they'll be ruined with fake blood and all sorts during the shoot.

You're in good hands with the people and advice above.

I just wanted point out the irony in the title of the movie considering your question :P

I see what you mean about it being quite a drawn-out process now! Thanks for the replies - I'm going to find the audio equipment I need, start a line item budget right now, and write up a schedule of what's going to happen day-by-day.
You are on the right path. The reason so many people have trouble
financing their debut feature film is they have very little
understanding of what people with the money are interested in
knowing. They are far less interested in the passion you have for
filmmaking and the determination you have to get your film done
and make it successful than in the "nuts-and-bolts" of the money
you need and what you will do with that money.

So far I've emailed at least 50 newspapers here in the UK and I'm trying to get onto radio shows during their "movies" section, just in case the right person is listening and wants to get in touch.
What would you have done if someone with money contacted you and
said, "I read the article on you and heard you on a radio show and
I want to give you money."? This happens to way too many
filmmakers. They get their one shot at impressing someone with
money and cannot answer their questions.

I'm glad I can help here.

In response to the shooting/editing time, is there a definite way a filmmaker can roughly estimate how long both shooting and editing will take?
There is. It's experience. Another reason why getting financing
for a debut feature is so difficult. Without the experience
editing a full feature length film, a director/editor is likely to
think it will take 2 weeks.

Working part time - say 20 hours a week - it could take as little
as 10 weeks. Not knowing your movie or your skills and knowledge of
editing I would say the very minimum would be 200 work hours. It
might take you 300. And it might take you 100.

You want to submit to festivals like Cannes. Do you know what their
requirements are? Do you know what distributors are going to want?
Will you being doing all the audio work yourself? Are you aware of the
need for a separate M&E track? Prepping a movie for festivals and getting
all the "deliverables" in order can take a long time.
I find it hard to give such a guess when there's a lot of things to get out of the way, although I've never worked with an entire main cast of actors (usually just friends who are interested in acting, mainly my martial arts teacher who I convinced to sign up to a casting agency) so I'm hopeful that having to work around people's day jobs won't be such a hassle.
It will be so much more of a hassle you cannot possibly fathom in
your wildest dreams how difficult it's going to be. I'm dead
serious. It can be done - it has been done - but it will rock you
to your core. You will spend far more time dealing with schedules
than with anything else. I've done it. It is pure hell. And then
it gets worse.

Also, about the clothes, the cast have been informed that they'll be ruined with fake blood and all sorts during the shoot.
I understand that. What if a costume is accidentally ruined on the
third or forth day of shooting? What if someone looses or
misplaces a costume during the couple of weeks they aren't
shooting?

The two most difficult things I have faced when shooting over a
period of 10 weeks (around work, school and personal schedules)
are costumes and hair. Men aren't usually too much of an issue,
but over 10 weeks many women make changes to their hair style. And
10 weeks is an unrealistic wish. It will take MUCH longer than
expected.

Everything you want to do can be done. And if you weren't asking
how to get funding, much of what I'm asking would not be essential,
but as soon as you want money from people (even friends and family)
you have entered the business of filmmaking. And if you are thinking
of asking people who don't know you personally to give you money for
equipment, it's even MORE difficult.

I gotta say, I am very impressed with you so far.

I think that in many cases, like this, over ambition will be the enemy of success.

Making a pre-judgement from the way you answered some of the questions you clearly don't have vast amounts of experience in filmmaking. I think that's not a problem, so long as you know what you're doing both technically and creatively, but a lot of people would urge you not to rush into trying to film a feature. It's a massive undertaking and one that needs a certain amount of experience and a lot of help from people around.

The UK is interesting as it's a lot smaller than the US and so the industry is much more centralised. If you are moving to London to shoot the film there's a lot that you'll be able to go on the cheap. I recommend that rather than buying all the equipment you start looking for a DP who you can collaborate with. If you can shoot some sort of promo then it will give potential investors something tangible to look at and assess. Try Gumtree.com to look for help or TalentCircle.org where you'll find lots of like minded people willing to help out.

I also recommend that you start reassessing your aims for the film. The chances of getting screened at Cannes are zilch, sorry. But there are thousands of other excellent festivals in the UK and worldwide and whilst they're also competitive there's a much greater chance of getting accepted. If you say to a producer or investor who understands the business that you, as a 17 year old kid, are going to make a feature movie on a shoestring and plan to screen it at Cannes, it immediately makes you look like you don't know what you're talking about. Look at WithoutABox.com and find some more realistic festivals that you can plan to submit too.

But yer, crucial point, why buy when you can share?

Great advice above. My thoughts would be to hold off on your project until you gain more experience. You don't want to shoot this amazing story next you have next week only to relieze 12 weeks later that it's nothing like you pictured and you hate it and or no funding to take it further. Then it will be even harder to convince all your actors and investors to re shoot six months later unpaid.
Keep making music videos and stuff for small groups charging small fees and saving and learning. Imagine how much better this film could be in one year from now with all that extra knowledgeand cash. Never give up but don't rush a feature film.

I was eventually going to get there. Nick makes an excellent point.

Ryan, have you considered not buying a camera or audio gear at all?
You've thought of casting actors, have you thought of bringing on a
dedicated DP and recordist who already own equipment?

Will people pay money to see this film? Box office, DVD's, and/or Downloads?

Investors need to know the answer to this question. They need to hear "Yes". Next question.

How much can we realistically make?

The answer has to be, "more than the investment". Next Question.

Can the person that needs the funding pull this off so we end up making money?

If all you need is some more gear camera, mic etc... Invest in yourself. Shoot shorts that show you can "pull this off". And if you can pull off great shorts, someone will ask you if you have a feature. Be ready for that question.

Best of luck to you!

Back