Big Problem

Hello, everyone! I'm currently working on a feature titled "Pentanormal", and I don't know how I will sell or distribute it. Basically, I'm more independent and "no-budget" than anyone here; I'm 13, work on an outdated Mini-DV camera (Canon's ZR-85), and have very little money. I want to sell via the internet and stores, but I don't know any efficient, legal method for a 13-year-old. Also, how can I distribute on no money?! I reallly need help here, guys (and gals).

-AMF

Last edited:
Well, I have to commend you for starting out at such a young age and knowing what you want to do. That is VERY awesome. If I only knew what I wanted to do back then, it would have been great! lol

FIRST I would suggest that you make a lot of shorts... This will get your esperience in filming, story telling, and editing, sound, lighting, etc...

Put your stuff on sites like TriggerStreet.com and get feedback. Then improve and improve. If you make something that you think could win some festivals, then start entering it into the free fests.

Before you can sell something, you need to have something worth buying. I've seen some AWESOME stuff put out by teens. One of my favorite indie films is from teens. "Terminator Tides of Steel" http://edsonleader.com/story.php?id=120372

I mean it's not the best technically produced film but it's VERY entertaining.. I mean 4 guys seemed to be the cast and they die, then they're in the other scene with different clothes on... you make due with what you have... Hell, look at what Peter John Ross (SonnyBoo.com) did on "Horrors of War". He made his very few cast members seem like an entire Army squad.

WOW 13
My advice is to break out a phone book and call as many companies as you can find that have somewhat the same intrest or that can gain some marketing value from your film to sponser you. this means you will have to run somekind of ad either before the satart of the film or after it ends

amfx22000 said:
Hello, everyone! I'm currently working on a feature titled "Pentanormal", and I don't know how I will sell or distribute it. Basically, I'm more independent and "no-budget" than anyone here; I'm 13, work on an outdated Mini-DV camera (Canon's ZR-85), and have very little money. I want to sell via the internet and stores, but I don't know any efficient, legal method for a 13-year-old. Also, how can I distribute on no money?! I reallly need help here, guys (and gals).

-AMF

My advice is - don't worry about making money at this stage. Think about how to tell stories well with memorable imagery. Get as many people to see your films as you can. You want an audience and good actors/crew to work with. You are starting the process much younger than most people. If you apply yourself and develop your writing/directing skills from now until you are 18, you will be formidable. Study theatre too.

Last edited:
how can you distribute on no money.... well YOU can't... if you have no money then you can't buy the blank DVD's to burn the movie to, or make the labels, or buy the DVD boxes, or print the covers for the DVD boxes... you also wouldn't have money to ship the items.

IF someone really liked the film then they would offer you a distribution contract, BUT you would not be able to sign the contract due to your age. Your parents would have to sign. Any deals which require a contract to be signed, needs to be done by a legal adult..
That means actor releases, songs, locations, permits, everything...

CootDog said:
how can you distribute on no money.... well YOU can't...

I agree - the chances of anything happening now are so slim as to be non-existant. It's not even your age that's the problem, it is the resourses at hand. You have to be realistic about the prospects of whatever you are making.

With limited equipment and no name talent, it'll be vitrually impossible to sell anything. Even with the world's best script and acting and directing. Distributors want to make money and they won't see a marketable, bankable product.

It's not condesending to say, "Make the best film you can make, have fun and learn." You can do the festival route, having something to prove that you have talent and THAT can lead to a deal or some sort of funding. In distribution, quality does not equal profit so you can't assume your good film will make money or attract attention.

Anyone who makes a small film expecting a payoff will be disappointed. It isn't impossible, it is just so highly improbable that you have to find another reason to make the film, find an outlet that doesn't involve distribution.

A small loan for youngsters

rrk1962 said:
You can do the festival route, having something to prove that you have talent and THAT can lead to a deal or some sort of funding.

Anyone who makes a small film expecting a payoff will be disappointed. It isn't impossible, it is just so highly improbable that you have to find another reason to make the film, find an outlet that doesn't involve distribution.

Yea but this person has "no money" so they couldn't pay for the entry fee. Even if it was free, the cost of the blank DVD is too much. :grumpy:

Parents and grantparents are a great place to get a small loan for youngsters. :yes:

amfx22000 said:

-AMF

...at age 13, I think it is great that you want to know some of the important parts about filmmaking. You've come to the right site.

...can you sell this film you are making? My guess would be no.

... Unfortunately, at your age, you have the burden of having less credibility than people who have done something that would show how responsible you are (if you are) or how mature you are (if you are). There are many places, I think, to get your movie seen, like ifilms, but to sell it? You have no track record of even being able to do this. This makes you an untried filmmaker and people need to have a reason to want to spend money on you. This is the burden of many filmmakers on this site and many of them have impressive backgrounds.

...I don't say this to discourage you, but the best thing you can do now is be realistic about your situation. You may be the next Robert Rodriguez, but even he had to start somewhere and that wasn't at the top...

...take the advice of people on the boards and learn your craft. That way when you make your first
'El Mariachi' people will see your film, be impressed and then maybe want to buy it...

...and by the way, distribution is probably one of the hardest things to do(to get) for a indie filmmaker regardless of their age. If we could crack this nut, we'd all be millionaires...

--spinner :cool:

Anyone can make a website and put things up there for sale. I think that is the way you'll need to go.

We've been talking about distro in this thing but none of that matters if you don't have a film.

The best part of making a movie is.... making the movie!

I would put your energy into making the best movie you can make. If people like it, they'll buy it.

Look up the filmmaker John Groshko, he was a teen when he started and you could learn a lot from his story. He made the best films he could and he entered them into contests and won. That shows you know what you're doing.

So don't worry about distro... Worry about making the movie.

Zensteve said:
Free shopping cart on your website, and PayPal.

Might need help from your folks to set up the PayPal account (being minor), but the rest is simple enough. :cool:

This is just an echo. It's astonishingly easy, no over head and PayPal doesn't take out much of a bite. You have to pay for a disk, packaging and printing if you want to look classy, with shipping I can churn them out at a cost of about $1.80 per disk, roughly. Actually selling, attracting a market, THAT'S the hard part.

Good luck.

check out studentfilmmakers.com (or maybe .org) they used to sell films via their site and must have a portal that allows them to make deals with filmmakers not yet of legal age....

Hi there! I just googeled my name and this site came up. I'm John Groshko. CootDog, that's cool that you were able to see my movie. It's been a long time since I made that film. I've just made a new no-budget bio-pic movie about the war of 1812. It won 2 national film festivals in Canada. If you interested, I susgest you check it out at,

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/41113

The film is 50min long, so i'd susgest you click on "This media file's URL" at the bottom of the screen, and download it directly.

Back