• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

1/50 shutter VS. 1/60

I was told before to keep my shutter in those while shooting normal scenes. It seems to me that 1/60 is a little sharper looking, and better looking. Is there any reason to use one or the other, or is it really just personal preference?

I believe the general rule was keep the shutter speed around double of your frame rate. So if you're shooting 24p keep it around 1/48 or 1/50 and if shooting at 30p it's 1/60.

Bit of artistic preference as at 25-30 fps fast shutter in this case 1/60 = less motion blur as the sensor is exposed for less time vs 1/50 = more motion blur. The other side of the story is the shorter the exposure the more you have to compensate with more light in the scene + higher ISO + wider Aperture to get the desired exposure.

There is something called the 180 degree shutter rule.

In many cameras, this is the shutter angle. Your normal angle would be 180 degree.

That translates to your shutter speed, being double of your frame rate.

Examples:

You're shooting a film at 24fps: 24 x 2 = 48.. That means you use 1/50th, because your camera probably doesn't do 1/48th.

You're shooting for UK Television at 25fps: 25 x 2 = 50.. That means you use 1/50th shutter.

You're shooting for american television at 30fps: 30 x 2 = 60.. That means you use a 1/50th shutter.

You shouldn't notice a big difference between the two really. I keep it at 1/50 95% of the time, then bump it to 1/60 if there's a light flickering at 60hz or a screen in the shot doing similar (because of North American power being 60hz).

If you like the way it looks at 1/60, go for it. It'll make your image a little darker, but you can adjust in other places.

He talking about a problem when you film a tv and the refresh rate of the tv isnt matching your shutter speed you will get a flickering where you can see the scanning process of the tv.

1/48 is 180 degree shutter when shooting at 24 fps. 1/50th is actually 172.8 degree shutter, and is what is used when shooting 24 fps in European countries, because of the light flicker.

On DSLRs I always shoot 1/40 or 1/45 (Canons).

1/50+ looks bad to me. And I can see the differences. There're very long and intense debates about this subject in other places on the infonet.

Sure I'm thinking 1/50 may be the way to go, since it's a good middle ground. Even though I like the look of 1/60, I've noticed it looks a little choppy in action scenes. I talked to a guy I met who took photography classes and showed him. He says that 1/50 looks good if you want to give the scene a mellow chilling out feel, but if you want to give the scene, a bold all business feel, 1/60 is better for that. This may be true?

Back