• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Any ideas on this???

Hi guys. I've asked for your help before and had some great suggestions. New question: I'm currently brainstorming ideas on how to "introduce" characters to each other. Story is set during the 1860's and they are engaged. But, how do they meet? Yes, they are from the same town and most likely attended the same school, but I was thinking something along the lines of. . . .sisters are walking through the woods and hear some boys playing and water splashing. They watch as they horseplay in the water and steal their clothes. . . . but, this seems all to cliche and has been done numerous times. I'm at a loss for ideas and, thus, am reaching out to you.

Thanks for the help.

Matt
SgtPen91st

Do some real research about the era. The 1860s was the American Civil War, Lincoln's assassination, reconstruction began, the Ku Klux Klan was formed, Andrew Johnson was impeached, Grant was elected president, The First Transcontinental Railroad was completed in 1869, the Suez Canal was opened in 1869, Alfred Nobel created dynamite, the Western Expansion (Go west, young man, go west!!!).... the list goes on. Many people were very devoutly religious, so their local church was also very important to these communities. Celebrations (and more somber events) were always a community happening, especially in the more rural areas, which included most of the country - which had 33 states at the time.

You'll also need to research the everyday lives of the people who lived in the specific era and geographic location where your story takes place. Those living in the cities of the East had very different lives than those who farmed or herded elsewhere; life the South, undergoing post-war reconstruction, was radically different than in the victorious North; Civil War vets from both sides headed west to escape their war memories; and the midwest & west coast were radically different than anything that had come before.

So when you add all of these things together you'll find a "situation" that will suit your story. Here's a few ideas:

Pa brings his daughter into town when he votes. Her future hubby is also in town with his dad for the same reason. They wait outside while their fathers vote and start talking....

Her family is part of a barn raising for her future betrothed (or vice versa)... (It could be a roof raising for the church/town hall/whatever.) Then you could move on into your swimming hole scenario...

He's three or four years older, so she's only about 13 or 14 when he leaves to fight the Civil War (16 year olds could bear arms); when he gets back four years later the little girl is no longer a "little" girl anymore... They meet again at a square dance, or church, or...

The first train comes through town - a major community event - and a huge blast of steam blows her hat off of her head, he chases it down for her....

Her horse spooks and he rescues her...

All of these are, admittedly, also clichés. But sometimes KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) is what a script requires.

Again, the issue is the specific era and specific geography. They will both have a tangible effect upon the circumstances of their first meeting.

Hope this has helped....

Alcove,

Thanks for jogging my mind for ideas. My story is specifically set during 1863 in a town close to the Mason-Dixon line. I've done a ton of research and continue to do so, but I was stumped as to how to get them to meet each other, without sounding too cliche with the watering hole scenario.

After reading your post, I've got it! Thanks! A good Independence Day celebration will do the trick. As I'm typing this I've got other ideas floating around my head for this. I should get off of here and to work on the scene.

Thanks again.

Alcove,

Thanks for jogging my mind for ideas. My story is specifically set during 1863 in a town close to the Mason-Dixon line. I've done a ton of research and continue to do so, but I was stumped as to how to get them to meet each other, without sounding too cliche with the watering hole scenario.

After reading your post, I've got it! Thanks! A good Independence Day celebration will do the trick. As I'm typing this I've got other ideas floating around my head for this. I should get off of here and to work on the scene.

Thanks again.

Alcove,

Thanks again.

Back