1 Lens for Video, which one?

I dont know too much about lens' but im getting a Canon 60D in a week and wondering if i should get the body and the lens it comes with (18mm-135mm) or should i just get the body and buy a separate lens instead?

i only have enough for 1 lens and a fairly cheap budget, $1800 all together (camera, lens and mics)
i was thinking about getting the Canon Wide Angle EF 35mm f/2.0. what do you guys think of it? seems to have good reviews and pics look like their clean as hell.

if not this lens what should i get since i only have enough for one lens?

doing weddings, short films, action, events.

THANKS GUYS!

I bought the 60D with the kit lens and am very pleased. I also bought an adapter and Super Takumar 55mm f1.8 off ebay for a total of $40.00 The 55 makes a really nice close-up lens and at f1.8 provides a very nice shallow DOF with fairly dreamlike bokeh for a 5 blade aperture. Be warned, you'll need to understand exposure, and will require ND filters for use in bright sunlight when using the lens wide open.

I use the Super Takumar for all my portrait still shots.

I dont know too much about lens' but im getting a Canon 60D in a week and wondering if i should get the body and the lens it comes with (18mm-135mm) or should i just get the body and buy a separate lens instead?

i only have enough for 1 lens and a fairly cheap budget, $1800 all together (camera, lens and mics)
i was thinking about getting the Canon Wide Angle EF 35mm f/2.0. what do you guys think of it? seems to have good reviews and pics look like their clean as hell.

if not this lens what should i get since i only have enough for one lens?

doing weddings, short films, action, events.

THANKS GUYS!

I agree with Gonzo, get a zoom that can do well for most situations then move to primes when u got the $$. First prime i would suggest if you want to start with a prime is a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 (1.4 a lot more but better build quality and good glass)

i have a canon t2i and i use 50mm 1.4 which is about 350$ although another option is the 50mm 1.8 for only 100$ (this lens has i bit lower build quality and has been known to break but most people say its one of the best prices for a lens of its image quality) i recommend you get a good prime lens 30mm or 50mm and a standard zoom lens the most kit lens are not the best glass but they are very helpful to to have 1 of each

Gonzo,

I have the following:

Kit lens 18-55 f/3.5 (came with my T3i)
Olympus 50mm f/1.8 ($12)
Super-Takumar 50mm f/1.4 ($50)
Vivitar 28mm f/2.5 (mint condition for $30 with a Teffin star filter and soft filter - SCORE!)

Is there any reason to get a 80-220mm zoom for video work?

Or should I shy towards the wider end of the scale?

I basically want to make nice family movies of the grandparents (a cute little movie of how they met with nice b-roll etc.) and fun short films with friends.

I think my next purchase will be either a faster 18 than my kit lens is or possibly an 85, OR a 18-70 (Sigma or Canon 2.8). I really like depth of field and the kit lens just doesn't do it for me.

@Gonzo - What would you say is the most often used prime in your collection? And what have you got?

p.s. FWIW I had a chance to test out a Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 yesterday on set. Beautiful lens.

Last edited:
I have the 18-135 and I like it for photos, it needs a lot of light when using it indoor for video though. Hardly ever use it for video.

Keep in mind you can rent online pretty cheap when you need a good lens.

Also, like it's been said, vintage glass is a great deal. Don't buy the canon 50 1.8, get a Super Takumar or similar and an adapter for the same price or less. Way better for video, that Canon 1.8 wasn't built to be good for manual focus.

@Paul very true statement about the canon 50mm f/1.8. The one I used felt light and plastic and isn't solidly locked on a focus and just feels cheap. My takumar feels way more solid and smooth on the focus ring.

Last edited:
Important Note: Zoom lenses (eg. non-prime lenses that can change focal length) tend to have noticeable distortion compared to prime lenses of the same focal length.

I discovered this when comparing my 24-70mm lens at 35mm against my 35mm prime. I never noticed it when taking photographs but its very present when shooting video, especially if you're panning around a lot.

That's true. The 18-135 actually has a fair amount of distortion when it's at or near all the way wide...

I actually like that though. It's not near enough to be fisheye, but horizontal lines near the top and bottom of the frame are curved for sure. Think Wes Anderson.

@Gonzo - What would you say is the most often used prime in your collection? And what have you got?

Yashica 28mm 2.8
Takumar 35mm 3.5
Yashica 50mm 1.7
Takumar 50mm 1.4
Takumar 55mm 1.8
Vivitar 105mm 2.8
takumar 135mm 3.5
Takumar 200mm 4.0

I use the 50mm 1.4 the most for sure, with the 55mm 1.8 close behind.
Remember I'm on a full frame camera, no crop.

28mm 2.8 - wide exteriors, or when I'm working in a tight room
50mm 1.4 - Most master shots
55mm 1.8 - MS, (medium shots) MCUs (Medium Close Up), Cowboys (hips up shot)
105mm 2.8 - MCUs, CUs
135mm 3.5 - ECU (Extreme Close Up)

I have a hole where I need an 85mm, but a fungus filled Takumar 85mm is still over $200. They want closer to $400 for a nice copy. I'm too cheap, still searching for that "they don't know what they have, mis-identified on ebay" deal.

That's true. The 18-135 actually has a fair amount of distortion when it's at or near all the way wide...

I actually like that though. It's not near enough to be fisheye, but horizontal lines near the top and bottom of the frame are curved for sure. Think Wes Anderson.

It'll play hell with any composite shots, motion tracking, and full-quality rolling shutter removal though. :)

@Gonzo: I have the 135mm f2 and it is by far the most beautiful lens in my kit. Super sharp, very contrasty. I've never used the f3.5, but you might want to give the f2 a look.

It'll play hell with any composite shots, motion tracking, and full-quality rolling shutter removal though. :)

@Gonzo: I have the 135mm f2 and it is by far the most beautiful lens in my kit. Super sharp, very contrasty. I've never used the f3.5, but you might want to give the f2 a look.

I'm on the lookout for one, also the Takumar 28mm 2.8, in addition to the continuing quest for a steal on an 85.

Back