Main actor keeps showing up late? What do I do?

Every time the crew has rehearsal he's late and every time we shoot a scene, he's late. We've already shot so many scenes for this film that firing him would be detrimental to this film..

He's usually late by around 30-40 minutes. This last shoot, he didn't even show up, which was a first, but called me 6 hours later and said he was in a bad car accident and was really sorry and wanted to know the schedule for the reshoot date so I didn't question his car accident or ask for proof, I just told him it was fine he just needed to let me know sooner. During rehearsals, he really acts like he's interested in the project and when he does finally arrive on the shoot day, he's great to work with and crew members love him. He's a great actor and it would completely kill the film if I were to have to replace him.

So I'm assuming, and I always assume this whenever he's late, that he's just one of those actors that is disorganized prior to shooting and a mess away from the shoot. My friends try to convince me that he doesn't respect the project but I simply won't believe it because if he didn't respect the project, then why would he bother to perform so well acting wise when he does show up? Why would he ask questions during rehearsals to better try and improve his character before shooting days begin? So the only logical explanation that gives me comfort is that he's a mess at home, but organized and respectful on set.

But I want your feedback on what you think of this situation. Thank you

Last edited:
How many days have you shot with him? How many days remain on the project?

In the past I've just sucked it up and then not worked with those kinds of actors in future projects, but I've never worked on a feature length film so it wasn't as big of a deal.

I'm assuming you show up earlier than your actors to get things ready? You can try giving him a different start time than the rest of the cast.. tell him 30 minutes earlier.

Personally I don't believe his car story.. I've been lied to like that in the past. People expect the more traumatic the story the less likely you'll question their absence. One guy told me his grandma was in the hospital. Like a month later I heard him lie to another guy with the same exact story.

You have a couple of choices. Either hire a baby sitter. Someone who will keep him on track at all times. Drive him to and from the set. Shove him into the car if needed.

If that isn't a choice, "You're Fired" needed to be used earlier on. You're allowing him to be disrespectful to the read of the cast and crew. Morale may be hurting.

I would pull him aside and have one last talk. First, compliment him on something he does well. Then let him know again about coming on time, and what ramifications it has on the shoot when he shows up late. If it continues to happen after that then it will be a problem.

If you are going to be working with him for awhile, chances are you might have to let him go. If you are only working with him for a short while, use the trick I used on one particularly difficult actress: tell him the call time is about 30-40 minutes earlier than it actually is. Then he'll show up on time :)

EDIT: Just saw that SFoster gave the same advice as I did. So, just use this to back up what he said. Ha!

Last edited:
I would pull him aside and have one last talk. First, compliment him on something he does well. Then let him know again about coming on time, and what ramifications it has on the shoot when he shows up late. If it continues to happen after that then it will be a problem.

If you are going to be working with him for awhile, chances are you might have to let him go. If you are only working with him for a short while, use the trick I used on one particularly difficult actress: tell him the call time is about 30-40 minutes earlier than it actually is. Then he'll show up on time :)

EDIT: Just saw that SFoster gave the same advice as I did. So, just use this to back up what he said. Ha!

Everything he said and get the biggest, toughest, hardest, axe-wielding AD you can find. Preferably someone with PTSD who open carries a firearm with a hair trigger to encourage him to get there on time.

My ex-wife is available if you need her.

Back