• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Thinking of O Henry:about English problem in screenplay writing

O Henry (1862—1910)had an unmatched and noble status in the creation of short stories. But in the same time, how much and more than thousands of elites were there in English subject? Then in the fact, no any scholar suddenly proposed that he'd want to dictate, ghostwrite, overwrite for O Henry's works. Because if something happens like this, whom should these short stories's copyright belong to so ?

It's impossible for me to become great O Henry forever. Just like you cannot become a famous professor of Department of English at Harvard University forever too.

Junsai Xu

He sure did. And quite a life: fugitive, embezzler, drunkard.

What is your favorite O Henry story?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Among his most famous stories are:

"The Gift of the Magi" about a young couple, Jim and Della, who are short of money but desperately want to buy each other Christmas gifts. Unbeknownst to Jim, Della sells her most valuable possession, her beautiful hair, in order to buy a platinum fob chain for Jim's watch; while unbeknownst to Della, Jim sells his own most valuable possession, his watch, to buy jeweled combs for Della's hair. The essential premise of this story has been copied, re-worked, parodied, and otherwise re-told countless times in the century since it was written.

"The Ransom of Red Chief", in which two men kidnap a boy of ten. The boy turns out to be so bratty and obnoxious that the desperate men ultimately pay the boy's father $250 to take him back.

"The Cop and the Anthem" about a New York City hobo named Soapy, who sets out to get arrested so that he can be a guest of the city jail instead of sleeping out in the cold winter. Despite efforts at petty theft, vandalism, disorderly conduct, and "mashing" with a young prostitute, Soapy fails to draw the attention of the police. Disconsolate, he pauses in front of a church, where an organ anthem inspires him to clean up his life—and is ironically charged for loitering and sentenced to three months in prison.

"A Retrieved Reformation", which tells the tale of safecracker Jimmy Valentine, recently freed from prison. He goes to a town bank to case it before he robs it. As he walks to the door, he catches the eye of the banker's beautiful daughter. They immediately fall in love and Valentine decides to give up his criminal career. He moves into the town, taking up the identity of Ralph Spencer, a shoemaker. Just as he is about to leave to deliver his specialized tools to an old associate, a lawman who recognizes him arrives at the bank. Jimmy and his fiancée and her family are at the bank, inspecting a new safe when a child accidentally gets locked inside the airtight vault. Knowing it will seal his fate, Valentine opens the safe to rescue the child. However, much to Valentine's surprise, the lawman denies recognizing him and lets him go.

"The Duplicity of Hargraves". A short story about a nearly destitute father and daughter's trip to Washington, D.C.

"The Caballero's Way", in which Porter's most famous character, the Cisco Kid, is introduced. It was first published in 1907 in the July issue of Everybody's Magazine and collected in the book Heart of the West that same year. In later film and TV depictions, the Kid would be portrayed as a dashing adventurer, perhaps skirting the edges of the law, but primarily on the side of the angels. In the original short story, the only story by Porter to feature the character, the Kid is a murderous, ruthless border desperado, whose trail is dogged by a heroic Texas Ranger. The twist ending is, unusual for Porter, tragic.

O. Henry was one of the world's three great-story masters

He sure did. And quite a life: fugitive, embezzler, drunkard.

What is your favorite O Henry story?

From Baidu Encyclopedia

William Sydney Porter (September 11, 1862 - June 5, 1910), known by his pen name O. Henry, was the founder of modern American short stories and one of the world's three great-story masters.

Okay, you can cut and paste from Wikipedia. Have you ever read any
of his stories? I wasn't asking you who O Henry was, I asked if you
have a favorite story.

You should ask me a question

have a favorite story.

You should ask me a question:
have you read
Plato's works,
Aristotle's works,
Euclid of Alexandria's works,
Nikolaj Kopernik's works,
Galileo Galilei's works,
Francis Bacon's works,
Rene Descartes's works,
Isaac Newton's works,
Adam Smith's works,
Charles Robert Darwin's works,
François-Marie Arouet's works,
Louis Pasteur's works,
Jean-Jacques Rousseau's works,
Sigmund Freud's works,
and so on. Maybe it's worth talking to.

In the field of language and literature, Foreign Literature is a required course

have a favorite story.

1, in the field of language and literature, Foreign Literature (also known as European and American Literature) is a required course (not an elective). And the opening of American Literature Course, famous writers, for example, Washington Irving, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, O Henry, Ernest Miller Hemingway,Pearl S Buck, Theodore Herman Albert Dreiser and so on, must be reviewed.

Sketched out the big frame of European and American Literature

have a favorite story.

2, I was a teacher in a normal college, specially lectured on Chinese Modern Literature. But must also be in the course, sketched out the big frame of European and American Literature,namely its literary thought trend, literary genre and literary classics influenced on Chinese Modern Literature.

He is asking what your favorite story is, like if I asked you your favorite Spielberg film. You are losing something in translation here.

Rik just asks a normal question.
A reply could be:
"Yes, I read a few stories, I liked .... best."

Or do your replies mean that replying to a question is a difficult thing? ;)

I don't see what the difficulty here is. redbluewhite85 clearly answered the question in the best way possible, even using wikipedia as evidence. I was also a teacher but it was in an abnormal college, & I lectured on Primitive Martian Literature. Maybe if you got some type of similar degree things would be easier for you to understand :)

4, Surely it doesn't mean that you think that reading literary works is a very difficult thing?
You are correct. It doesn't mean that I think reading literary works is a
very difficult thing. What it means is; do you have a favorite O. Henry
story?

I don't think this is a translation issue. I think you are being deliberately
evasive because you have never read O. Henry. There is nothing wrong with
admitting that. You are ignorant of his works. Would you like me to recommend
a story for you to read?

Back