Good Indie Camera for around 3500

Hey guys. So after a year I am finally ready to buy my camera. I just bought a brand new 20" iMac which is amazing. Can someone give me some good advice on the best camera for around 3000-4000. I would like a true 24p even though I know thats not everything that makes a good camera. I dont care which brand. Just shoot some names out there so I can research them. Thanks, Jack. Hopefully I can start popping out some films for everyone soon.

If I had the money to work with you're talking about, the only camera I would consider would be the Panasonic DVX100a (or b, but the a is probably cheaper these days)

I've used it in the past and have never been dissatisfied with the results. It's just a sexy looking image.

Here's some comparisons:
Sony HDV FX1 vs DVX100a vs Canon XL2
DVX100 vs PD-150

I just saw a dvx vs film comparison the other day, and can't seem to find the link today.. :(

Good suggestions. I have already in depth researched those cameras. I have actually used the xl2 many times while i was in school. I am looking to shot film like movies in a controlled environment. I travel alot and would like to film random things but I will give up quality for that. HD would be nice but just throw out some more ideas for me. I will take out a loan if i have too. Not willing to go to the xlh1 price range

canon just released their a1 and g1 cameras which are like the GL series for HD...just above your target price. A1 is about $4k. remember that it will use more drive space as well on your computer than an SD camera.

canon just released their a1 and g1 cameras which are like the GL series for HD...just above your target price. A1 is about $4k. remember that it will use more drive space as well on your computer than an SD camera.

I saw a quick glimpse of these online at Canons website the other day but did not research any further because I could not find a price. You resparked my mind on these cameras, I researched it further, and found the extremely low price. Thanks for the help, this looks like the camera. I will be going for the a not g because it seems like the best bet. I will let you all know how it works when I get it. I will try to post some vids also. Jack

Depending on your experience level, you might consider purchasing the HVX200 without any cards and using it with tape stock until you can afford to rent or buy the P2 cards. It would be well worth the additional $2k on your credit card. Although, I've just come off of a feature film where we shot with the HVX and I am in love.

Sorry, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but damn if that isn't the sweetest thing around $5.2k:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productList&A=buyUsed&Q=381410

Heaven!

I'm actually really impressed with the A1 and am thinking about getting one. Fantastic image that little guy puts out. If you want to go HD, get great images, and not spend a fortune this would be the way!

Back