What's the Pay Schedule Like?

I'm helping produce a film, but my knowledge is limited. The exec producer and two other producers are quite knowledgeable but I don't really want to tell them how green I am.
With that said, we took on a DP, Audio, 1st AC and quite a few other positions.

I know how much everyone is being paid, but how do they get paid? What is STANDARD?? Do they get paid when the job is done? Some upfront? What are the terms(language) my producer is going to tell me that I should know when he tells me to get this and that for/from said person? I mentioned earlier that travel and board is included. Does that mean that I book the tickets for them or do I simply reimburse them for those costs?

Also, our director told the producer to hire said DP. DP agreed to X amount. When does he get X amount? I suppose to correspond with the DP but I'm honestly taking my sweet time with the call back right now because I don't know how to answer the questions he may have if our producer didn't already answer them.

DP also wants to bring the camera that my Director wants to use. The producer had the camera sourced from a supplier but the DP wants to be the supplier. Why is that?

Usually how you get paid will be set out in the deal memo.

I'm not sure if this is a feature, short or otherwise, nor how long you'll be shooting for - that may make a difference. For example, on a feature or series that runs for 2-3+ months, you may have many/most crew paid on a regular schedule (fortnightly, for example). On a short that takes a week, you may pay on nett 30 (or strictly 30) terms depending on the crew and how you've agreed to pay them.

Even on a feature, you'll generally have a mix of payment methods.

The DP wants to hire his camera onto your gig so he can get the extra hire fee. It's fairly common to do so when the DP has equipment. It often works out better for everyone anyway - a hired Alexa package may cost say $5000/week, whilst the DP may charge you $3000/week - which means the production saves money, and the DP makes more based on his gear. It's a win-win for both parties. Depending on the DP's kit, he may hire you everything, or just hire the camera and have Production hire out lenses and accessories.

Last edited:
Thanks for that! It's actually a 3 week long feature. Predominately filmed in a house, but there's about 8 other locations. the 8 other locations are expected to be shot in a day each. I think the producer expects filming to wrap after about 14 days but to be safe he's allowing for overage.

Most DPs dont have their own Alexa unless it's a mini--which the director doesn't want. With a bigger Alexa comes bigger rigs which ends up costing more money which the producer doesn't want. lol. From what I understand they are budgetted for $80k but if the whole production can be filmed for less I think the producer will be overjoyed. So I'm definitely trying to source things cheaper.

Are cast and crew usually supplied with hotels and airfare or what?

Do you have a Production Manager? They will take care of pay & finance etc.
If you don't, I would strongly recommend thinking about hiring one. A good Production Manager is worth every penny.

Many DPs do own Alexas, though it will depend on your local area as to how common it is.

The Alexa Mini is a damn good camera, though choice of camera kit should ideally be left to the DP in consultation with the Director.
IMO (as someone who's intimately familiar with most modern camera systems), there's no reason not to shoot Alexa Mini, especially if it will fit within the budget better. But that's for you guys to figure out. I'm not intimately familiar with your film, so there may be certain things that are wanted that the Mini can't deliver.

If you're hiring crew to work as locals, you shouldn't need to put them up or fly them around, unless you take the Production somewhere sufficiently far away that warrants it.
If you're hiring out of town, then yes you'd generally fly them and put them up, unless you come to some other agreement with them. Often, a production will also pay a per diem for out of town crew.

As always, it will depend on the particular agreements you come to, and what's set out in your deal memos.

Back