• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How do I get this color grading?

maxresdefault.jpg

recep-ivedik-3-zeynep-kim_7961494-33910_640x360.jpg

img-recepivedikkuafor-842.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Make the blacks darker, make the temperature warmer.

Notice how there is no detail in the blacks, and how there is not true white in the image. It's all been turned yellow and orange. Either that or it wasn't properly white balanced when shot.

The main thing besides the blacks being crushed is, the hue is also turned to yellow-ish.

No. Highlights are warmer. Or the general color temperature.

If you try this with the hue effect, you'll get a whole different look, as it would turn every color a certain degrees.

It does result in a warm hue, but it isn't done with 'hue'. If you know what I mean.

No. Highlights are warmer. Or the general color temperature.

If you try this with the hue effect, you'll get a whole different look, as it would turn every color a certain degrees.

It does result in a warm hue, but it isn't done with 'hue'. If you know what I mean.

Oh okay, are you saying they changed the midtone of the hue, more so? I thought maybe the middle hue wheel, on the three wheels was altered to yellow a bit, but not the other two wheels, if that makes sense... Basically the wall in the background looks, yellow-ish, along with the books on the tables, so I thought that the wall was white maybe, and it was turned yellow with one of the hue wheels.

Oh okay, are you saying they changed the midtone of the hue, more so? I thought maybe the middle hue wheel, on the three wheels was altered to yellow a bit, but not the other two wheels, if that makes sense... Basically the wall in the background looks, yellow-ish, along with the books on the tables, so I thought that the wall was white maybe, and it was turned yellow with one of the hue wheels.

No that was not what I said: I only mentioned highlight or overal color. I never said midtones.
And yes: the highlights (the right colorwheel) might have been made more yellow: it is the right color wheel.

Those are color wheels, btw.
Not hue wheels.

It is essential to speak the right language, otherwise you'll be wasting money again on poor briefings to a colorist.
Or wasting a lot of time from people trying to decypher your homecooked filmblabla.

Check the difference between a 'hue effect' (found in Color Balance HLS) and a color wheel.
A hue effect rotates the whole spectrum. If you rotate it 180 degrees every hue is inverted (red turns cyan, green turns magenta, etc) (but the greytones aren't, so you get this weird colorinverted look with the correct brightness).
A colorwheel changes the tint of a certain range of greytones (or a certain selection). This means that is you add yellow: reds go towards orange, whites towards yellow, blue towards green, green towards a more dry grass yellowish green and the true opposite of the yellow moves towards white/grey before moving towards yellow.

Back