• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Oscar nominations!

Oscars mean little to me one way or another, but disappointed to hear your comments on "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" I've been looking forward to seeing that; I loved the book, even more so than "Everything Is Illuminated" (whose film adapatation I might have liked even MORE than the book).

Still, always good to see Max von Sydow!

I find the lack of RotPotA disturbing.

I haven't seen every nod for best picture, and the ones I have seen are great and deserve to be there. Still though, Apes was my favorite film of the year. And, imo, was very much hollywood oscar-bait. Then again, it was sci-fi and sci-fi doesn't win awards for anything but SFX.

I don't know if I agree with everything you said. Admittedly, I was also surprised Brooks missed out but the fact is Warrior was a great film and he was very good in it. Whilst I did really enjoy Moneyball (one of my favourites of the year and I've never watched a baseball match, well played Hollywood...) and I thought Hill was very good in it I can't help but feel his role was essentially that of the straight man to Pitt. Solid, but not Oscar-worthy.

As for the other ones, I thought Oldman was superb in Tinker, Tailor. I haven't seen Shame but I've heard Fassbender is incredible and I really like him as an actor so no doubt there will be comments on that.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that Melissa McCarthy deserves to win Best Supporting Actress. I'll agree it's great the Academy is noticing comedy but the fact is it seems like you are only choosing her to make a point that she won't win or that the Academy should make wildcard decisions. However, I can hardly get into a debate here as I haven't seen the other films the actresses are nominated for and so maybe it was just a relatively underwhelming year.

Very disappointed about Andy Serkis, I love watching behind-the-scenes features on his work. The level of preparation is amazing and the ability to bring such emotion to a 3D model is nothing short of spectacular. You only need to look at the likes of Beowulf or Mars Needs Moms to see that it isn't easy. The lack of Rise nominations is surprising, although bear in mind that the 3 categories Transformers was nominated in it did do well- the sound was very impressive, as was the CGI (which Rise was rightly nominated in as well)

I will say this -- the one good purpose the Oscar nominations serve is that it reliably gives me a short list of documentaries that I really want to watch. "Hell and Back" and "If a Tree Falls" are both on Netflix instant queue, yay! The other three look great, too.

I actually think Melissa McCarthy should win the Oscar because I think she gave the best performance in that category. Period. I agree that War Horse was awful. Derivative Spielbergian garbage. I also think that it's wrong for the Academy to continually overlook great work by Andy Serkis just because of the use of CGI. John Hurt was nominated for The Elephant Man when his face was completely covered in makeup. What's really the difference here? If the performance is great, nominate it. I however must disagree that Planet of the Apes was the best film of the year. I thought it was a better than average blockbuster, but nothing more. I guess I should watch Warrior before dissing it too. Nick Nolte is always good and I'm sure that film is no exception.

For me, the biggest shock about Warrior is nobody is mentioning Joel Edgerton. For me, that's his film and Tom Hardy is secondary, but, most likely because of his new star power, he's the one everyone is talking about. I still think Nolte is the best but to be honest Hardy didn't really do much in that film for me and people are talking about him as an Oscar snub.

The lack of Drive related things is surprising, I don't think Gosling had enough about him to earn a nomination but not even a Best Picture nod? On a related note, why are there only 9 BP nominees?

Melissa McCarthy? Bridesmaids?

I really don't understand how that movie was nominated for anything. It was kinda funny, but Oscar-worthy? Not in my opinion.

I can't help but feel that it's just hollywood trying to look like... I don't know... like it would give an award to an overweight female comedian or to a film written and directed by and starring women. Which in and of itself is not a bad thing, but in this case it feels disingenuous.

As always there are obvious omissions (Shame, Drive, We Need to Talk About Kevin) and silly decisions (Incredibly Loud and Really, Really Close) but, on the whole, this isn't the worst list I've ever seen.

The Best Actor category is particularly pleasing. Great to see Gary Oldman in there because we all thought he was going to be overlooked. Even better to see Damien Bichir in because that was a fantastic performance (probably the best of the lot even though he won't win).

Nice to see K Bran nominated as well ;)

Back