Any Chicagoans here?

Hi, I was wondering if any people on this forum live in Chicago. If so I wanted to know how the independent film scene is. Also, has anyone been to a meetup group? How was it?

I moved out of the city a little over a year ago, and have never been to a meetup, but yeah the indie film scene is thriving.

If you're doing low-budget stuff you're gonna run into a lot of students or recent grads from Columbia. Craigslist is a great way to find cast and crew or to get involved on someone else's project. Was there something more specific you wanted to know about?

@mrpink, what is K-town? Kankakee? Kenosha, WI?

I'm in Chicago (northwest side). I'm a hobbiest DP. I'm usually able to shoot a project a year, mostly no-budget shorts, though last summer I shot a no-budget feature that's still in post. Here's a link if anyone is interested

http://www.fallingforyouthemovie.com

Nothing lined up for this summer though, but I don't do much networking, usually I just get work from word-of-mouth. I really need to get a reel together, but I'm waiting on a new computer.

Seems like there's enough going on in the city though. When I talk to the actors of the films I work on, they're always doing some other video project, lot's of web series I gather.

There's been some successful web-series that got quite a bit of acclaim. I can't remember the titles, but there was one that was about a lost Kardasihan sister, and another good one that took place at the front desk of an office building during the night shift.

I think having so much improv stuff going on in the city really helps the indie movie scene out.

Last edited:
Back