Your wackiest PA assignments

Sonnyboo's post about Production Assistants gave me the idea for this thread. I imagine a few of us here have worked as PAs on at least one shoot. Would love to hear anecdotes about your most memorable experiences. I'll start...

On my first PA job, I was asked by the director to make coffee for the casting session. I didn't drink the stuff myself, so had never made a pot of it in my life. I figured out how the coffee machine worked, but had no idea how much coffee to use, so I asked the director how many scoops. She said, "Oh, I don't know. About one scoop per cup." It was a 12-cup coffee maker. I started scooping the grounds, but by the time I got to 6 scoops, the filter was almost full, so I figured I'd better stop there. Those of you who drink coffee can imagine the reactions it got. :lol:

On a shoot for Chevrolet, our prima donna director refused to drink anything but Evian bottled water, and crafty ran out. We were shooting out in the boonies and, since it was the 1980s, the local store didn't carry bottled water, let alone Evian. The director demanded that a PA drive 150 miles, round-trip, to get him his Evian.

On a shoot for Pepsi, the director arrived on set without his jacket, not realizing how cold it gets in Oregon. The UPM sent me to buy him a warm jacket. It was 7am, however, in a tiny town where most stores don't open until 10am. Only place open was the marine supply store. They carry only high-end, super thermal gear for professional mariners, so I bought him the cheapest jacket they had, which was still twice what the UPM wanted me to pay. The UPM had a fit, but the director was cold so they bit the bullet. The director loved the jacket, but wasn't pleased with my color choice. :rolleyes:

Your turn!

Mmm, that coffee sounds delicious. Was this on the set of a particularly well-known movie shot in your home-town? :)

I'm afraid I don't have any stories. I've only PA'd on a few friends' ultra-low-budget shorts, and that only involves holding things, moving things, and getting things. :lol:

I can share some tid-bits from a couple people I know who PA'd on Spielberg's Lincoln, though. PA's were not allowed to make eye-contact with any of the stars, and it is true that Day-Lewis did actually stay in character the whole time, and everyone on set addressed him and referred to him as Mr. President.

Mmm, that coffee sounds delicious. Was this on the set of a particularly well-known movie shot in your home-town?

No, it was for a show called King Cole's Party. The director and production people called it "THE COFFEE THAT MICK BUILT!" (always shouted and accompanied by a fist slammed down on the table.)

I'm afraid I don't have any stories. I've only PA'd on a few friends' ultra-low-budget shorts, and that only involves holding things, moving things, and getting things.

I appreciate your reply, nevertheless. I thought there'd be more people out there with stories. :blush:

Oh, I have a few, but I'm trying to figure out which ones are the whackiest. ;)

2001, sounds like I would LOVE your coffee. :coffee::coffee::coffee:

OK here are a few. These aren't so whacky, but I remember them well...

on the same movie:

1) fanning smoke onto strippers at a club (oh, how terrible)
2) populating seagulls in the framed shot by feeding them dry cat kibble at what felt like miles away from the production (yes that WAS terrible) The DP: "More birds! More birds!" Good grief.

on another film:

The stand-in for one of the leads wanted to make himself useful and help P.A. from time to time. We had to clear the set inside someone's living room. Marco (who sang at our wedding) and I grabbed a long roll of carpet from end to end, the middle sagging a bit. As we lumber through the dining room, Marco comments: "Damn these anacondas. They keep finding their way under the floorboards." I bust into a fit of laughter. Friends ever since.

on my movie: (imagine yourself as one of the P.A.s)

A pair of fresh production assistants (guy and girl, college age) show up at our apartment to help, all bright-eyed and bushy tailed. We head out, just down the block, for the shot. I station the two PAs at the bottom of the hill "just in case anything goes wrong." Actor rolls down the hill on the adult tricycle, no brakes, hits a hand rail, literally flips into the air into a somersault, smacks down hard onto the ground, alive but badly shaken and bruised. Never hear or see the PAs again. No wonder!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall hearing them tell the story.

Last edited:
fanning smoke onto strippers at a club
:cool:
I actually did that on a shoot last year (I was Key Grip).

They also needed more background extras, so I was recruited for that as well -- face-pummeled by yawning cleavage. Turns out fake boobs really do feel way different than the real thing... :weird:

I remember hearing your last anecdote on the extras for your movie. Ouch.

Back