Timelapse Advice....?

Hi Guys,

So far timelapse wise I have done a couple of night timelapses and a few cloud/day ones.

I have decided to challenge myself a little bit and I have agreed to shoot a timelapse at a Wrestling Event this weekend. The company want a timelapse that starts with an empty hall going into the building of the ring and set up, the actual event and through to the taking down of the ring and packing up.

The final video will be one continuous time lapse.

So before I've only shot a long enough timelapse that one SD card or battery would allow, the first question is how do I change the card/battery whilst the timelapse is in full swing? Is it a case of being very be quick, or is it ok to have a break in proceedings for 30 secs or so?

My next question is... obviously the action will be very fast and the lighting all over the place.. at the start, the house lighting will be on, during the event it will be dark with spot lighting etc and after the event, house lighting again. So just wondering on best settings? Would aperture priority be the best?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and thanks for your help in advance!

Are the lights already there?
Go visit and check both settings.

But I guess the spot lighting will be (almost) as bright as the lights during setup, but only in the ring.

How long will the total event be?
How long does the video have to be?
Do your math and calculate how much memory you need.

From your remarks I guess you use a DSLR?
If not:
don't use batteries: plug in to the powergrid :P
If you have enough time and you are sure you won't move the camera, you can change memorycards.
So make sure you lock your tripod very well.
Place markers/barrieres around it to be sure nobody can touch it.

Hope this helps a little bit.

You didn't say what you're shooting with but, if your camera has a record to external storage option, use an external SSD/HDD/SDI/firewire drive to log the data. As far as getting the exposure right for all lighting conditions, all you can really due is test, test, test.

Back