Uploading HD footage on youtube!

Hi everyone!

When I first uploaded my Canon t2i footage it came all blurry. I mean the quality sucked even though the finished project looked great and it was all HD. How can I upload to youtube and get HD quality? Not really sure...

The finished project is 2 mins long, 1920x1080 - 23,976p and its MPEG-2, its about 619 mb in size.

Anybody? :)

Yes, I tried it with Vimeo but unfortunately Im only allowed to upload 500 mb this week or ever? I dont know. Im actually new with Vimeo :)

So basically I should re-render (via Sony Vegas Pro 10) with the following settings:

Save as type: Sony AVC (*mp4)
Template: Internet 1920x 1080 -25p OR should I set it to 1280x720 - 25p?

Custom option: What did you mean encode it around 22-28mb exactly? Thats the bit-rate if im not mistaken? How much would that mean?

Thanks

Last edited:
Google a program called Handbrake, its completely FREE. You will want to render it out as mp4 in your video editor because that is what youtube uses and likes. I would keep your render settings the same as your video. Then in handbrake adjust the settings as necessary to achieve a smaller mp4 size. I uploaded my video which was 612mb mp4 at almost 6 min. Youtube took that sucker and spit it back out at 76mb and the quality look nearly identical. Also, I think youtube only uses the 44100 Hz audio, so it might be worth just using that when you re-render in handbrake.

Heres the link: http://handbrake.fr/

Last edited:
I just rendered it out with Vegas Pro, but Ill give your theory a try :) ...but realistically, since you offered me this program, I assume there might be something wrong with Vegas though im not sure. Im a bit worried. What do you think?

Wait, just saw mpeg 2. Give YouTube MP4. For 1080p footage, encode it around 22-28 mbs with audio set to 320.

Hey, I believe I did what you said (used the format) and all. Heres the video, but for some strange, annoying reason its still blurry and and weird even though when it should look like the source video! Weird :S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8-yNfpCOdI

By the way I dont mean the blurr I used from the lens, but the video is very low quality for some reason

Oh, and heres the Vimeo http://vimeo.com/20691738 difference, HUGE difference in quality. Wonder whats with youtube? However, the Vimeo version is a little choppy at time, which bothers me. Guess I need to get more ram and not run anything else while rendering eh?

Last edited:
I just rendered it out with Vegas Pro, but Ill give your theory a try :) ...but realistically, since you offered me this program, I assume there might be something wrong with Vegas though im not sure. Im a bit worried. What do you think?

Well, I used vegas pro as well to render out mine. But my file sizes keep coming out huge, but my image still looked good. Handbrake I think as better/easier options to adjust the video to your liking. From selecting a specified bitrate for video, an actual target output file size, and a constant quality option. My opinion, is try the target output size. Figure, 6 min of video should be 100mb. Give it a try. Oh and don't run anything else while its doing it. It will use ALL your resources to punch it out.

Vimeo has much better, less aggressive compression than YouTube (and YouTube's has gotten better over the years -- it used to be really awful). YT wants to save on bandwidth as much as possible. I was still able to get fairly good quality with a 720p upload to YT.

I was able to upload my lHD ogo idea as a Mpeg file as a MP4 640X360 on Vimeo.

I first converted it from HD in AVI to HD in Mpeg in full resolution. Vimeo changed it over to MP4 as it converted and compressed the original Mpeg.

Last edited:
720p 30fps progressive h264. Can't go wrong with those settings -- it's exactly what YouTube recommends, and comes out pretty nice (given YouTube's harsh compression).

If you've got a Mac, Compressor will do it perfectly.

Back