Monitoring Headphones?

I can't make up my mind of which headphones to buy. I need the headphones for editing for my films.
I did my research and a few products came to my attention, specifically
the Sennheiser HD 280Pro
Sennheiser HD 380Pro
Audio Technica ATH-M50x
Audio Technica ATH-M50
AKG 271 MKII
Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro

As you can tell my budget is around that (around $200-$250). Any recommendation of other products I have not mentioned is more than welcomed.

First off, as a general rule, it's NOT a good idea to edit (or particularly mix) your films with headphones! If your film is for internet release, where a higher percentage of viewers might be using headphones, then it's certainly worth checking the mix with headphones but always use speakers (providing they are at least half decent) in preference to headphones.

With the above in mind, the exact model of headphone you get obviously doesn't really matter. As you are asking though, I Personally would go with the HD380Pro. Not that I've tried all the headphones you've listed but simply because over the years I've come to trust Sennheiser studio headphones and the 380s are the best I've heard in their price range.

G

First off, as a general rule, it's NOT a good idea to edit (or particularly mix) your films with headphones! If your film is for internet release, where a higher percentage of viewers might be using headphones, then it's certainly worth checking the mix with headphones but always use speakers (providing they are at least half decent) in preference to headphones.

With the above in mind, the exact model of headphone you get obviously doesn't really matter. As you are asking though, I Personally would go with the HD380Pro. Not that I've tried all the headphones you've listed but simply because over the years I've come to trust Sennheiser studio headphones and the 380s are the best I've heard in their price range.

G

My films will be mainly targeted towards film festivals but I don't have the luxury of using speakers, even if I could afford them. I do my editing in my bedroom and the constant sound from the speakers isn't really welcomed in the house (Sound seems to travel easily throughout my house). But I'm interested in the speakers you would recommend though.

I don't have the luxury of using speakers ...

Mmmm, I wouldn't say the use of speakers is a "luxury" in filmmaking, they're more of a bare essential!

But I'm interested in the speakers you would recommend though.

There's a wide range of speakers (studio monitors) available, from a few hundred dollars a set, up to tens of thousands. Which ones are best depends on a number of factors.

My films will be mainly targeted towards film festivals ...

That covers quite a wide range, depending on the festival. The smaller, more regional (lower tier) festivals may screen their films in an ad hoc venue using some sort of PA or live music sound system. The high tier festivals will screen in actual cinemas (which are always acoustically designed) and use very expensive theatrical sound systems. One thing all film festivals (of every level) have in common is that all of them screen their films using some sort of speaker system rather than headphones!

G

I utilize the AKG K240's both for monitoring my film editing and my music production - They were fantastic. Essentially, those are just a tier lower than the AKG's you're considering.

Oh, and AudioPost is right - mixing entirely on headphones can fire back on you later on. I'd consider just simply using them to ensure your mix sounds alright through them, that way listeners with them won't be disappointed. I'd invest in some studio monitor speakers for long term use. They shouldn't be out of your price range, because you could certainly get some workable studio monitors for the price of what you want to pay for headphones. I love my M-Audio AV40's. They're simple, and fairly inexpensive, but they sound excellent and my audio has improved ten fold since their induction into my studio.

Last edited:
Back