Information on 65 mm film cameras, ect?

Okay, I'll try to keep this short and sweet without a little story. So:

I want to learn the anatomy of a Film camera. The kind professionals use. I have no clue about anything of a film camera- Like what film stock you should chose for a certain film camera ect. NOTE that i don't want any advice on DIGITAL cameras, I want to learn strictly about film.

So my question is, where in the world do I find the information on these things? A clear cut information guide or something, for beginners, because let me tell you, haha, I don't know anything when it comes to these things. And when people say, 65 mm, 35 mm, 35 mm film stock ect ect, I have no clue what they're talking about.

I would use the internet, trial and error, and all that jumbo.... but when I do try to research this stuff, I never understand what they're talking about! So please, if anyone knows of any guides, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

I'm a novice myself: But shooting on film iis similar to film photography. If you're familiar with that, then you have a reference point.

When you see 35mm, 16mm, 8mm etc. that is refering to the size of the frame on the film. Generally, the bigger the frame, the better the resolution. Of course the skill of the cameraman and quality of equipment can affect this as well.

Then there is the type of film stock. By the way, film stock just means film.:) Film will come in different varieties like: Black and white, and color.

Then in both these catagories you have: reversal (which produces a positive image), and negative (which has to be printed then transfered to get your positive image).

Then under these catagories you have the ASA of the film. This is a number that identifies the films sensitivity to light. The lower the number the less sensitivety. For instance asa 100 could be used in full sun light, whereas asa 500 can be used in doors or in low light conditions.

Further still in the balance of the film. Daylight or tungsten. This determines how the film will reacte to different temperatures of light. Sunlight/daylight is around 4500 degrees. Tungsten is something like 3200. If you shoot tungsten balanced film in daylight you will need a filter to "cool" the color of the light. 85B, I think is the filter, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

That's it, in a tiny nut shell. Obviously there's more to it than that, but there's the absolute basics.

Last edited:
Back