In need of short film script

I will be starting my senior year of film school this fall. When I return to school I will have to turn in a script for my senior film project. My areas of interest lie mostly in production and post-production. Therefore screenwriting is not my forté. However I am required to provide my own script for this project. I am looking for either a turnkey script or some assistance in coming up with an idea/story.

Target runtime is 5-15 minutes. I can either shoot on Color 16MM film, or HD Digital.

I will have to quickly finish pre-production when I return to school, and then begin filming, needing to be finished by late November.

All camera/lighting/sound equipment is provided by the school, however, all other production costs are covered by me, out of pocket. Being a student, funds are low.

I would like to keep the number of actors limited, less than 5 being ideal. My main talent pool is a liberal arts university, including members of the drama department (even though they don't make the best screen actors).

As far of my areas of interest go, I like action, suspense, romance, and comedy. The main genre I would like to shoot for is comedy. I know it's difficult, so I'm open to other genres.

The only two ideas I've had that seem like they could work are "The Inconvenience Store", or a story related to time travel culture shock (past to future).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hmm... I've been looking for writing exercises so I could try to tackle this. I can't exactly guarantee anything (eg. Have A Plan B), but I can dig through my idea box...

What about a short about a man who tries lucid dreaming and discovers he can bring back objects from his dreams into the real world? What if he brought back an impossible object? What if he brought back a person?

I mean, if you had a person that only existed in a dream and that dream environment is all they knew, how would they react to being pulled into an actual, real world? :)

I thought about this a bit more and actually have a small plot-arc now that should fit into a 15-minute window. If the above idea appeals to you, I'll see if I can quickly hammer out a rough draft so you can get a better sense on if this idea will work for you.

Oh! I need to know if there's anything you can't do, visual-effects-wise. Obviously, the basic story won't require anything more than shooting and editing, but if you're capable of a little bit of CG work then that can open up some small and very short shots that are a bit more complex than the basic shoot/edit/color-correct.

Have some Arabic appearing actors? GLORY AND PRIDE
Interior house + Exterior with car.
Minimal costume and prop needs.
Lots of non-verbal communication to emote.
Plenty of angles to shoot and edit in post.
Pretty far from comedy, though.

Also, when is the script-turn-in due date this fall?

Last edited:
it's easy man, just go to the park with a case of energy drinks and a scribler. Magic will happen.

Personally, I have real difficulty in coming up with ideas that are feasible with a small crew and limited resources. I completely understand asking for help in this arena.

The lucid dreaming idea was one of only two I was able to come up with when trying to figure out what I could do for a feature length movie. All the rest of my screenplays I'm currently working on would cost a minimum of $60 million, and it's not like people are flinging that kind of cash at us indie types. :)

Last edited:
@escher - Yes I have basic CG capabilities, I'd have to know more specifically what you're thinking to say for sure. And yeah, $60M is a bit over budget for me.

@rayw - My script final script will need to be completed around mid-September. I read the script you linked me too. I do like the script, and would enjoy shooting it, however, I see two challenges. The first is setting, I am in Greenville, SC. I'm not exactly sure where I would shoot to fake Palestine. Two, is the actors. I'm sure I could find one or two Arabic looking actors, not sure about 5.

@Sidewalkbowling - Haha, love the idea, I think I may do just that. I've found the local laundromat a good place too.

Also, I didn't mention in my original post, but I do plan to give my script writer full credit in the credits, and proper recognition in any film festivals/competitions I enter.

Two, is the actors. I'm sure I could find one or two Arabic looking actors, not sure about 5.
Yeah, no kidding.
That was the biggest flag I had.

Gimme till shortly after Nick Clapper's Super Summer Contest Phase 1, AUG 1 judging period is over.
Any story leftovers not moving forward I'll run across your way.

Mid-SEP should be no biggie.

GL

Also, I didn't mention in my original post, but I do plan to give my script writer full credit in the credits, and proper recognition in any film festivals/competitions I enter.
You're d@mn straight you are, or else we'll hunt you down and cut off your b@lls!

Oh... Wait.
I was channeling a redneck character there.
Sorry. :lol::D

"Of course you'll be giving the writer professional credit!" ;)

Review this diagram with above a casual go-over but less than burning a brain cell, see if it's useful for crafting a simple story.

20110720StoryConstraints-Compact.jpg

It's just another way of looking at the oft grieved over three act/Syd Field structure.
Nothing revolutionary about it, but it works well for simple stories, especially comedy.

I live on a college campus, so those are my easiest access locations. I have access to various apartments and houses. Lots of parks. Various close to the mountains so outdoor locations are very plentiful. Did I mention I'm in Greenville, SC? A lot of businesses and such in town are pretty friendly to filming.

Here it is! It ran a bit long (19 pages), but it should play out pretty quickly. Not sure what the final running time will be. I've included both a .pdf and an editable version in the Final Draft 7 format.

I can't believe I managed this in one sitting. Must be having a decent night. :)

Attachments

• Lucid.zip
    66.7 KB · Views: 95
Back