Lighting equipment

Hey guys!

I'm starting year 2 of my degree and so far, I have my camera, field recorder, Mic, boom pole, tripod, etc. and I forgot one crucial element to own... Lighting!

All last year and in year 3, I used the institutes lighting for years but now I need to get my own.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I could get? I was thinking about getting a reporter light kit. What are your thoughts?

Joshy :cheers:

Last edited:
Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I could get? I was thinking about getting a reporter light kit. What are your thoughts?
A reporter light kit isn't very versatile. Nice to own if you're doing a lot
of interviews and documentaries. A nice starting point. My suggestion
is to consider the institutes lighting that you've been using and build
a kit with lights you used the most.

What lights have you been using? What are your short term needs
for lighting? Are you planning on buying everything needed for a feature
or hiring when needed?

Well, I've been using the red head style kits and the sachtler report light kit, all in the 3 light kits. But that's about it.
A nice, versatile kit would be four lights. I'm not up on the brands
available in the UK but your basic key, fill, back light and one extra
is what you've learned with so far so buying the basic minimum will
be a good starting point.

Or are you asking about buying a full compliment of lights and gear
for a general feature shoot?

A nice, versatile kit would be four lights. I'm not up on the brands
available in the UK but your basic key, fill, back light and one extra
is what you've learned with so far so buying the basic minimum will
be a good starting point.

I'm just thinking a good starting point for now, and then I can start to push the boat out to get more lighting. What brands would you suggest? :cool:

I have all used Mole Richardson stuff from ebay. Really very affordable.

I have a 1K, a 750, a 650, and 2 200's with inexpensive stands I've got maybe $1000 in it. It's enough for small setups like the average interior.

What's your budget and what are you goign to be lighting, mostly. Are you looking to eventually increase your lighting selection and (potentially) start to look for work as a Gaffer? Do you want something more general purpose?

How have you been using your lights at uni and what have you liked/disliked about the way they work?

Back