How Short Should Your Short Film Be?

We get asked and ask ourselves quite often, ‘what defines the length of a short film?’. In reality there is no standard length, and probably our strongest point of reference is basing ourselves on the Academy Awards submission standards, where a film running under 40 minutes falls under the short film category. But standards vary from festival to festival, as for other instances, Sundance considers films under 50 minutes as shorts.

The real question is who is your target audience? This can make a world of a difference since there is a massive gap between an online audience and a theatre audience. People who go to theaters and film festivals are mostly film fanatics, they know what they are getting into. They are also stuck in a seat for the entire length of your film with only one thing to pay attention to, so a longer short film can definitely be grasped to its potential.

The online audience is much more diluted and much harsher. These are not all film fanatics and all have something else to do. Attention span for an online viewer is cut short with the slightest distraction from not only cyber junk, but also everything around them: kids, wife, football game, etc.

In essence, if your targeting festivals the sky is your limit (sky being 40 – 50 minutes) and it all comes down to your content. But if your targeting the masses of the online audience reaching for the sky will mean a loss of audience. My general theory for a short film is to make it as short as you possibly can! Grasp your audience quick and get rid of all the boring stuff in between to keep them focused until the end. The golden timeframe for an online short is between 8-12 minutes, enough time to develop a pretty solid story without too many viewer dropouts (depending on your film of course). But I’ve seen many successful shorts that run under 5 minutes, which in fact are the ones that have the most chances of going viral!

The timestamp is the first thing people look at after the cover image, so impress them with a beautiful poster and then with a luring length. A short that takes up less of people’s time will also encourage sharing, where for the same reason people will be more likely to tell their friends about it if they know it won’t waste too much of their time. How many times have your heard “I sent you a link, watch it it’s only 2 minutes!”

Read our full article and see great length references that will help you judge where your film should be!

We want to know your thoughts from your experiences as well!

Interesting post.

In relation to:

In essence, if your targeting festivals the sky is your limit (sky being 40 – 50 minutes) and it all comes down to your contentl!

I will say that most festivals prefer Shorts to be in the 5-10 minute range. Such durations give them greater scheduling flexibility than say a 20+ min short.

Sub ten minute shorts also tend to be more popular with audiences. And if they hate it, it's under 10 mins so bearable.

Last edited:
Having my latest short be 3 minutes has helped with getting people to watch it. Although then some people complain about how short it was after they finish :)

But I am going to do a longer sequel. I figure the 3 min can lure them in, then if they want more content they can choose to continue down the rabbit hole

In general, it's advisable that a short be no shorter than is required, and no longer than necessary. When in doubt, err on the shorter side - better to leave your audience wishing for more than for them to be wishing it was over.

Very nice analysis of the two very different audiences we all try to please. I think the length of the film needs to be considered not only for the audience but also for the budget, cast, location and resource availability. Without these things it's very difficult to make anything longer than 5-10 minutes. This isn't to say that you can't make something that develops a story and gives the viewer an emotional response; I just think it's important for very limited filmmakers to know that it doesn't have to be longer than 10 minutes in order for it to make an impact.

It's worth noting that some festivals limit the length of Shorts to sub-20 mins, e.g. to enter Cannes (exceptionally tough to place) your Short has to be 15 mins or less.

Most festivals want shorts under five minutes. If you can show 15 shorts in 90 minutes you'll have a lot of butts in the seats because, at the least, you'll have a part of the cast and crew from 15 short films.

The only times I've ever seen a short over 5 minutes at a festival it was something really special.

Besides, why not pour your $2k into five minutes instead of 20 minutes or more? $400 per minute versus $100 (or less) per minute.

It's funny i made that 3 minute short.. and most of the feedback I get is that "it was so short!!" but really I think that is awesome because it means I left them wanting more

It should be exactly as long as necessary to tell your story, not a single frame more.

Exactly!

Don't worry about it being too long for a certain festival. Tell your story and find a festival that will take it for the length it is.

I will be coming out with an extended version of my last short. I cut it down to 22 minutes for the NY Film and TV Festival from almost 40 minutes long. That was a mistake. The new version will be around 30 minutes long and it is a prequel to a pilot. The new scenes will explain the story better.

Remember the live action Green Lantern movie? The shorten version for cinemas tanked because it was too hard to follow. The extended Blu-ray version is liked by anyone who has seen it. It tells the whole story of the Green Lantern. And, it explains all.

Remember, we make films to tell a story. So, tell your story and find your market.

Last edited:
It's funny i made that 3 minute short.. and most of the feedback I get is that "it was so short!!" but really I think that is awesome because it means I left them wanting more

From my feelings from watching short films of different lengths, I actually tend to shy away from the very short ones - the characters and concept tend not to be as developed (more because of the length than the director's talent) as the longer ones.

I wanna be invested somewhere - you know! - and it's so difficult to do when you're only there for a few minutes.

From my feelings from watching short films of different lengths, I actually tend to shy away from the very short ones - the characters and concept tend not to be as developed (more because of the length than the director's talent) as the longer ones.
Totally agree with the above. We have though placed some sub four minute Shorts.

But 5-10 minutes simply gives you longer for the story, and for the audience to (hopefully) connect with your characters and be invested in their story.

Hey guys filmmaker/writer here from Australia what would your consensus be on the length of your first short I was thinking of making mine 5 minutes but now I'm not sure. I want it to be short and concise but not too "brief" and be able to be submitted to film festivals. What i guess I'm saying is do any of you have advice on a "perfect" run time for a short film with film festival potential?

Hey guys filmmaker/writer here from Australia what would your consensus be on the length of your first short I was thinking of making mine 5 minutes but now I'm not sure. I want it to be short and concise but not too "brief" and be able to be submitted to film festivals. What i guess I'm saying is do any of you have advice on a "perfect" run time for a short film with film festival potential?

Is this your first "good" short film, or are you talking about making your VERY first short film? If it's the latter, then I recommend you not worry about runtime, and just play around with the camera, get a feel of how to work with actors and the other equipment or things you have. If it's the former, then 5-12 minutes is a good runtime.

Back