Producer Needed For Short Film

I am not sure what is happening here. I am running a basic advert.

It's an opportunity to expand on your post. If you don't want to, that's your choice. If I were alone in my feelings in how you've conducted your post, that'd be one thing, but I'm not. The lesson to learn is when you're on this forum, being open and answering questions when asked is really the best policy when asking for help, particularly when you're asking someone to work for free.

You're free to feel different. The thing is, so am I. We're both open here to discuss our opinions.

Help this filmmaker, don’t dismiss him. Yes, the post is not filled
with information but perhaps he is just starting out and not trying
to scam people. You two have experience and knowledge I don’t
see why you can’t offer some of that to a first time poster on indietalk.

You know, you're right, however as I notice by his response above, he's being rather dismissive (being polite here) instead of taking the opportunity to clarify his position. As a producer, I'd be very concerned with his lines of communication with from my limited observation, his unwillingness to give a straight answer.

You two didn’t need to ask for help when you were starting. I did.
I remember what it was like. I can tell you from experience that
being dismissed or called rude is discouraging. I can remember
making mistakes and people dismissing me or accusing me of
something I was not doing.

Not true. I needed help... Hell, I still do, but that's the nature of filming. I also see that it's fair to have a well rounded view of the situation presented for anyone who may be considering getting into this opportunity. That last thing I'd like to happen is for you to get a one way trip to London to only get left there if things turn sour or you were unable or unwilling to do some duties that weren't covered.

On top of all that, I'm far from dismissive. I asked for clarification and made suggestions of options to help him, which he has dismissed. While I have no evidence to support this, I suspect he doesn't fully understand the role of a producer and doesn't know the different types. While there is nothing wrong with that, but if he hides this, no one is going to come out a winner from the situation. You could get unrealistic expectations, hurt feelings and so on. This can affect the quality of the production.

Who knows, maybe I'm just crabby after a few 14 hour stints of corporate video editing.

I have to admit, I was a little interested in helping his project initially until I read his replies, failing to answer virtually every question asked.

While I believe people should answer basic question I would like to remind you that on casting websites I do not need to provide any details to my actor and yet they need to provide all kinds of contact details including their name, photo etc

I would like to see some demonstrated experience from Ade, but if the way they would like to work it is to not provide that than so be it, that's their way of finding a producer.

Being in Australia there's no way I can see myself helping unfortunately. I hope we see you around here a little more

It's an opportunity to expand on your post. If you don't want to, that's your choice. If I were alone in my feelings in how you've conducted your post, that'd be one thing, but I'm not. The lesson to learn is when you're on this forum, being open and answering questions when asked is really the best policy when asking for help, particularly when you're asking someone to work for free.

You're free to feel different. The thing is, so am I. We're both open here to discuss our opinions.

You know, you're right, however as I notice by his response above, he's being rather dismissive (being polite here) instead of taking the opportunity to clarify his position. As a producer, I'd be very concerned with his lines of communication with from my limited observation, his unwillingness to give a straight answer.

Not true. I needed help... Hell, I still do, but that's the nature of filming. I also see that it's fair to have a well rounded view of the situation presented for anyone who may be considering getting into this opportunity. That last thing I'd like to happen is for you to get a one way trip to London to only get left there if things turn sour or you were unable or unwilling to do some duties that weren't covered.

On top of all that, I'm far from dismissive. I asked for clarification and made suggestions of options to help him, which he has dismissed. While I have no evidence to support this, I suspect he doesn't fully understand the role of a producer and doesn't know the different types. While there is nothing wrong with that, but if he hides this, no one is going to come out a winner from the situation. You could get unrealistic expectations, hurt feelings and so on. This can affect the quality of the production.

Who knows, maybe I'm just crabby after a few 14 hour stints of corporate video editing.

I have to admit, I was a little interested in helping his project initially until I read his replies, failing to answer virtually every question asked.

I beg your pardon for appearing dismissive but I rather email one to one to answer individually. I should add I have experiences but I would feel overindulgent if I should name them in a post. This is how I like to do my business. So, Sweetie, if you have had any concerns or question, why not contact me privately? Why do you have to be disrespectful as to announce it on a public forum?

My aesthetic in my work area is if I should have a problem with or questions for any crew or cast, I would take them to the side and talk about it. I would not speak boldly and have a discussion with many eyes on us. I feel the latter might be your style and it is a good thing that your 'little' interest in the project has quickly dissipated for I should be sorry indeed if you should decide to contact me for the role.

I treated this advertisement as a commercial ad; you would not always get all the information you need but you are always welcome to contact the advertiser about any questions. I cannot emphasise the fact of you contacting me to answer your questions.

And now I feel this thread has been wrung up to be a battle match intensified by your need to be a bully and a sore, when all it is was an ad. You live in Australia, you did not need to answer to this ad, it was mostly targeted for UK audiences, you do not have to aggravate the issue, you don't even have to be on here. And it is quite a sad thought to think I have to defend myself rather than focus on the project and find collaborators.

My sincere desire would be for you to gracefully leave this thread, but as I know you shan't do the above. I shall await more of your comments but I hope I shall have the grit to ignore it and focus on the task.

And I am a female, although that in itself is irrelevant.

Last edited:
I think I understand why you're not doing the producer role yourself anymore. While I don't appreciate your disposition or attitude, I do applaud your decision to have someone else handle this role. I wish you luck in your search.

Hi,
I don't usually work on shorts anymore, but your project sounds interesting. Send me some details, including schedule if it's done yet, and let me know how much involvement you want the producer to have, as you have been producing this yourself, do you want them to guide you, or take control?

Good luck, Lance

Back