Where to DEVELOP Super 8?

Where to DEVELOP Super 8? Dwayne's Photo?

Okay, I didn't expect it would be so hard to find someone who can develop Super8. I bought some Kodak Ektachrome 100D and will be using it this weekend. Only problem is, after calling a dozen places this morning, I can't find anyone who develops Super 8.

Plenty will transfer, but develop?... No.

Pro8 out on California does it, but I'm in NYC. Isn't there anyone who can develop in the NYC area? :huh:

I did find Dwayne's Photo and I am reading everyone sends to them anyway and just charges on top of their fee. Interesting, if true?

They offer Prep for Telecine. Should I use that service?

Last edited:
Dwayne's is a legit place, but they don't telecine. Pro8 does, but is very expensive.

YaleFilmAndVideo.com is the place I mainly use. If you use their place to develop the film, the cine-prep charge is included. If you're just transferring pre-developed rolls, there's a small charge for prep. It's fine to mail/fedex filmstock back & forth.

I've no idea who to use in NY.

No Wal-marts around here, but when I visit my parents in NC this Christmas I'll check out the one near them. If they do I will shoot some rolls and have them developed there.

Yah, WalMart would forward S8 to Dwayne's.

Dunno if they still do; even if they did, better take a look at what Dwayne's processes now - it ain't much. EcktaChrome for now, and K40 for the next month only.

I tried the walmart thing with some Tri-X Reversal and followed the instructions I found online and it got sent back undevelopped. If someone has success, please let me know how you did it and I'll go that route.

Ebay is the place.. you can also find dome bulbs.. they only last a while, consider them as expendable..

If you get really serious about Super8. there is a place in Cypress Tx N of Houston that does Telcine and sells custon built Projectors that will do Telcine with or without using a camcorder aimed into the optics.. get good results.. Google them

Before using & developing your roll of 500T, remember that it is not a reversal stock - and as such, it's not really watchable on a projector.

Your Eckta will be fine, though.

Zensteve, yeah, I wonder what to do about those two rolls as i am sure they will be experimental. I'll use one roll this weekend with different settings so that I can get it back and determine what works. The big problem is I don't know how my camera will read the cartridge.

And pro8mm is the most expensive telecine place on the planet for Super8 so I don't really want to spend big bucks on that. I'd just want a standard def DVD to check out the footage and that is it. I'm wondering if those ebay places (some look just fine) can handle negative stock. Certainly not if they are using a camcorder-projector setup. Will have to send some emails.

Back