!Help! What Camera?

:huh: I am planning my first short, with no dialog. This would be my first encounter with a film camera, I would like something easy to use. Also if their are any ideas for certain film to use, I want to have the look of a motion picture. It is going to be shot at night time, if that means anything....

If what I am saying makes no sense, I apologize.

Shooting night scenes with film means you need to light. Fortunately the only two things to stop you is how fast the lens is you are using and what ASA you use. There is no need for gain or a "large CCD size" to compensate as is necessary for digital cameras.

That said, if this is your first short, you may want to do it on super 8. This is the less expensive option of film, you can shoot a higher ratio than if you shot it on 16 or 35 (which means you can try different things with lighting and exposure).

However, shooting on 16 could work just as easily with a Krasnogorsk-3. It is non-syched which is its major downfall (and it only takes 100ft daylight spools not 400's like the higher end 16mm's), but the lense that comes with the camera takes beautiful picture, and the camera mechanics itself are actually really good (picture is as steady as a rock if you load it correctly). I have a k-3 and if I was only going to shoot MOS (w/o sound), I would not hesitate to shoot a 16mm short on it, not even for a moment. But once again, s8 is cheaper, is easier to load (takes cartridges so theres very little room for error), and still gives you that "film" look. A few users here are well versed in 8mm so they would be able to help.

But then for post you have to consider what you want to do. Do you want to transfer it straight to video and cut it on your computer (probably the BEST option although it is an expense that needs to be considered as it could cost from $100-$500 depending on the length of your short). The other method that is more inexpensive but I personally would not recommend is cutting it by hand the reallly old fashioned way. The last method which doesnt sound like it would be in your budget would be to go the more pro way and conform the neg - this is costly because you are now enlisting the help of a post house.

Considering this is your first short, I would shoot s8, buy a few small lights or worklights, get it telecined and cut it on your comp. For a 5min MOS short with a 5-7:1 ratio you might be able to do it for $200-$400 including stock, process, and telecine.

Doing the same thing with a k-3, you might be looking at a $350-$600.

Please note, without knowing what your short is, how many setups you will do, etc. I can't give you an exact amount. It may very well cost less than this.

Dont forget to budget for other things like feeding the cast and crew, film festival entry money, money for fliers and such to promote your short at a fest if you get accepted, etc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Information, I am looking at some Super 8 cameras on ebay, they range from $10-$500, any ideas on what would be a good super 8 camera to buy/use?

EDIT: Have been looking at some super 8 short films and I think i may go with the Krasnogorsk-3 if you think it would be the best for my first short.

Film types? any film types you would recomend for shooting at night.

Last edited:
Looks like now we are going to be shooting in day and night, any ideas for the best camera? also can anyone link me to some movies done in the 16mm format.

I just want to make sure you understand - the K3 is a 16mm camera, not super 8.

I would also suggest that you not just take one person's word for it. Do research and make sure that 16mm is in fact the medium you want and that a k3 will work for you. Now, I bought mine on ebay straight from Russia, and I could give you the user name of the person I bought it from if you'd like it. After shipping, the camera will come to $150-$200. You might find one from someone within the US on ebay though, so its up to you.

Film types - well I have shot Kodak since my days as a still photog. I had bad experiences with Fuji and decided Kodak from then on out. In my shooting of 16mm I have been absolutely over satisfied with Kodak's professionalism and willingness to send me information on their films. So far I have shot Plus-X Reversal B&W, and many different color neg stocks.

If you will have very little light available, I would go with Vision-2 500T.

But before jumping into the deep end, again I would recommend doing as much research into how to shoot film and how lighting and light metering work. Screwing up shooting film is potentially very easy to do and could be very costly. I would also shoot a demo roll or two to get aquainted with how it all works. Film is not cheap but there are ways to shoot it inexpensively - 1) Know what you are doing, 2) Shoot MOS, 3) Be prepared.

A good basic 16mm camera to start with would be a Bell & Howell model 70. You have a large range of lenses to work with. The camera is very portable and easy to use. Can be found on eBay for good prices though I do know a local dealer who has a lot of them in stock including a motorized one with a magazine. A reflex Bolex may be a bit more than you need for now and the range of lenses are fewer.

A lot of video shooters have developed this paralysing fear of film, afraid of the complexities of exposure, focus and mechanical movements. It's not that hard. When I exposed my first roll of 16mm I checked my lightmeter, dialed in the f-stop and focus, and shot. Everything came out fine. Not to say it's hard to screw up; I've messed up plenty since when I wasn't paying attention, but a Bolex or B&H Filmo 70DR with a decent lens is cheap and gives you great pictures. Don't panic, practice loading the camera a few times with a length of processed film, find a pretty girl to photograph, and do it.

Back