• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

600D Over exposure

Hi guys,

I took some outside landscape video yesterday with my 600d, and everything looked great in the view finder but when i got the footage into premiere it all looked over exposed and kind of dreamy looking and not sharp.

Also everything looks in focus on the lcd but when later inspected it looks not so sharp

any idea of what im doing wrong?

here is a screen shot of the footage...

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh571/AbsolutionFilms/Screenshot2012-05-13at123804.png

Im still learning this camera so go easy on me! haha

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Alright!

If you expose your shot, it might look fine on the LCD but if you look at the bottom of your screen, there is a meter for your exposure! If you press your shutter button half way in video mode, you will see this meter! The dash on the meter has to be band on in the middle on 0. That means your exposure is spot on! This way, you will expose properly! It helps a lot if you don't have a camera with Zebras or an EVF with that feature!

Try it!

Phil

Hi Phil,

would you say its better to under expose slightly if needed?

Also as you can see from my screen shot the detail is quite blurred, would that be to do with what picture profile i am using? I have used a user defined profile where the sharpness was right down...

You can try underexposing by 1/3 stop. It's always better to underexpose rather than overexpose.

I am not sure why it's so blurred! DSLR's are usually quite soft.. What lens?

Screenshot2012-05-13at214723.png

Above is the original video screen shot on the left and today i went back and fiddled about with the settings more and on the right is the result, i think it looks much better....

i used landscape picture profile and turned off the brightness and contrast assist as well as bringing iso right down to 100

With DSLR I prefer to a flat picture profile (ex. cinestyle) and then grade it in post, I like having that kind of extra dynamic range. In this particular case, the image on the right seems ok to me. The other picture looks out of focus to me.

Use Magic Lantern's histograms

Magic Lantern firmware modification has excellent histograms that will help you expose properly. Definitely consider installing Magic Lantern - it may change the way you shoot. On the histogram, watch the curve and make sure it never hits the far right (100% exposure). When you're overexposing on the histogram, there will often be a spike (vertical white line) right next to the histogram's right border. I do think your shot 1 is very overexposed (the whites of the building on the right should be 2 stops darker). On bright, contrasty days, you should always be super-careful: the narrow dynamic range of our cameras will become a problem. Definitely try Cinestyle profile - it's very flat and you can get more detail in the shadows and highlights with it (once you color correct).

Back